Jewish funds drive is on a roll Giving increases for 8th straight year

surpasses $25 million

July 15, 1998|By Ernest F. Imhoff | Ernest F. Imhoff,SUN STAFF

An article in yesterday's Maryland section incorrectly reported that Sinai Hospital relies on the general fund drive of The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore. Sinai conducts its own fund-raising campaign.

The Sun regrets the errors.

For the eighth straight year, Baltimore-area Jews have increased their giving to The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore.

The local network and a similar organization in Palm Beach, Fla., are the only two of 200 Jewish federations in the United States that have raised more money each succeeding year in that period, said Ricki Baker, director of marketing here.

In the drive ending June 30, 15,710 donors gave $25,472,283 for programs and services in the 1998 annual Baltimore campaign, allowing The Associated to exceed its goal of $25 million.

FOR THE RECORD - CORRECTION

"The 1998 drive shows not how good we are in soliciting, but how incredibly bonded and supportive the community is," said Baker. "The Baltimore Jewish community thinks it's both an obligation and honor to care for one another."

The association is made up of 18 constituent agencies, including Jewish Family Services, Baltimore Hebrew University, Baltimore Jewish Council, Jewish Community Center and Sinai Hospital. The drive largely eliminates the need for them to run their own campaigns.

Martha Weiman, the new chairwoman of the 1999 women's campaign who is also active in the national United Jewish Appeal, said: "It's always amazing to me how highly Baltimore is thought of in the whole federated system because of its giving and caring."

Over three years beginning last year, some funds are being spent to help address three "priority issues," said Lawrence Ziffer, vice president for community development. The three are:

* Providing a Jewish education for every child who wants one.

* Providing the means and support for the elderly and disabled to live independently and with dignity.

* Creating more ways to reach out to teen-agers and college students to provide them with fuller Jewish lives.

* Of the $25.4 million, about $13 million benefits local Jewish services and programs addressing social, religious, cultural, recreational, counseling and adjustment needs. The rest goes to national and overseas programs and local overhead.

The cost of running the campaign was 6.8 percent. Other administrative costs totaled 4.2 percent, for a combined overhead of about 11 percent.

The general chairman was Jon H. Levinson, executive vice president, Alex Cooper Oriental Rugs and Auctioneers. Of the 1998 total, $5,762,572 was attributed to the women's department campaign directed by Genine Macks Fidler, who is a partner in the Fidler and Macks law firm.

Chairman of the 1999 general drive is Stewart J. Greenebaum, president of Greenebaum & Rose Associates, Baltimore and Washington developers.

"Our goal has to be more than monetary," he said. "We're continually telling donors how their money is being used, with extraordinarily low overhead."

The goal for the 1999 campaign is $26 million, of which $6 million is the target of the women's department.

Weiman, who is vice president of Drapery Contractors Inc., said:

"Our women's department is growing both in campaigners and donors. More and more women are controlling money. They are educated and knowledgeable. They approach philanthropy in a different way [than men]. They follow their dollars, they don't just write checks."

Pub Date: 7/15/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.