Police say shotgun blast that killed boy may not have been self-inflicted Autopsy creates doubt

investigation continues

July 14, 1998|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

A shotgun blast that killed a 12-year-old Baltimore boy Sunday afternoon may not have been self-inflicted, as investigators first believed, city police said yesterday.

Homicide detectives were planning last night to re-interview a playmate who was with the victim when he was shot, but police stressed that they are not close to filing criminal charges in the case. And they said they have not determined whether the shooting of Calvin "Juicy" Fair was intentional or accidental.

The Medical Examiner's office also had not ruled on the death.

But preliminary autopsy results show "there is a strong possibility the gunshot wound was not self-inflicted," said Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman. On Sunday, detectives believed Calvin, who lived in the 1800 block of Wilhelm St., had accidentally shot himself while playing with the gun about 5 p.m. Sunday at a friend's house in the 1800 block of W. Franklin St.

The focus of the investigation has changed.

"Detectives throughout the evening will interview family members and anyone else who was inside the house during the time of the incident to determine an exact chronology of events," Weinhold said yesterday.

Youths told police that they found the loaded 12-gauge sawed-off shotgun in an alley near West Franklin Street and North Fulton Avenue.

Calvin and his friend, Robert Foye, 13, were in the kitchen when the weapon discharged, hitting Calvin in the left arm and chest. Robert's mother, Vanessa Foye, 35, said Robert told her he was standing on a kitchen staircase when the gun went off.

Robert couldn't be reached yesterday. His mother dismissed any talk that her son accidentally shot Calvin. "The police would have been able to tell that" Sunday, she said.

"Juicy was like a son to me and he was Robert's best buddy," Foye said yesterday, after learning of the shift in the police investigation. "My son wouldn't hurt nobody. He's taking this hard."

But police said a closer study of Calvin's wounds at yesterday's autopsy shows a trajectory that makes it nearly impossible for the wounds to have been self-inflicted. Weinhold said fingerprints taken from the gun are being analyzed.

Calvin's mother, Marilyn Willis, 35, said "Thank God" when told that police have changed the focus of their investigation.

"I knew my son didn't shoot himself," she said, standing next to her front steps adorned with flowers in remembrance of Calvin. "The police are doing what I wanted them to do from the beginning, find the truth."

Pub Date: 7/14/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.