Three men hurt in accidents with explosives

July 06, 1998|By John Murphy | John Murphy,SUN STAFF

Two brothers were injured early yesterday in Baltimore County after an explosive they were trying to toss out of their car window went off, and another man was hurt Saturday night while making an explosive device, police said.

The brothers were driving home from a fireworks display in Carroll County when they used the car's cigarette lighter to light an M-80 -- equivalent to a quarter-stick of dynamite -- which exploded before they could throw it out, police said.

Steven Paris, 35, of the 300 block of Kearney Road in Owings Mills and Jeffrey Paris, 38, of the 9000 block of Meadow Heights Road in Randallstown drove to the Owings Mills Volunteer Fire Station on Reisterstown Road.

Paris, who injured his left hand, was taken to the Raymond Curtis Hand Treatment Center at Union Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in satisfactory condition, a spokeswoman said. Jeffrey Paris was treated at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he is listed in good condition, a spokeswoman said.

Saturday night's incident occurred about 10: 30 p.m. in the 1700 block of Langley Road in Middle River. Police said a 57-year-old man had packed a carbon dioxide cartridge with match heads.

When he began sawing the cartridge, police said, he created a spark that ignited the device in his hands, severing four fingers. Richard Newton Cartwright was listed in fair condition at Union Memorial Hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Dr. Michael A. McClinton, a surgeon at the hand center, said that he treats many hand injuries caused by fireworks and explosives this time of year but that the number of fireworks-related injuries has declined over the years.

"Fireworks are becoming more and more powerful," he said. "[But] it seems like more and more people are willing to see the professional fireworks displays. That has reduced the number of injuries."

Pub Date: 7/06/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.