Three incidents on waterways leave two men seriously injured One hit head after diving

another fell into water

June 21, 1998|By Greg Garland | Greg Garland,SUN STAFF

Three unrelated incidents on area waterways kept rescue workers busy yesterday, and left two men hospitalized in serious condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

A 39-year-old Baltimore man was injured when he apparently struck his head after diving from a "jet boat" into shallow water on Broadwater Creek, a Chesapeake Bay tributary near Churchton in southern Anne Arundel County, authorities said. The mishap occurred shortly after 3: 30 p.m.

"Witnesses told rescue workers that the gentleman dove into the water and came up and was signaling for help," said Anne Arundel EMS/Fire/Rescue Battalion Chief John Scholz. "The water was very shallow in that area. Indications of the witnesses were that he struck his head on the bottom."

Scholz said the victim, Tom Klender, had been at a nearby party before the accident. He was being treated for possible spinal injuries, the chief said.

Richard McIntire, a Maryland Natural Resources Police spokesman, said three other people were on the craft with Klender when the accident occurred. He said the vessel is larger than a personal watercraft, although it uses the same type of propulsion system.

McIntire said the water was murky and only about 2 feet deep.

About an hour earlier, Anne Arundel rescue crews responded to a report of a "near drowning" in the 800 block of Nabbs Creek Road in Pasadena, where a 40-year-old man was pulled unconscious from the creek by relatives.

Scholz said Leo Martin had been working on the roof of his boathouse in the Lombardee Beach neighborhood when he fell, hit his upper torso on a boat and plunged into the water.

"Some family members nearby retrieved him and brought him to shore," Scholz said.

He said Martin was pulled from the water almost immediately.

In the third incident, Baltimore County Fire Department rescue crews brought a father and his two small children safely to shore after their raft capsized in fast-moving water on the Gunpowder River, near Belair Road in the northeast section of the county.

The family was stranded on a rock in the middle of the river for more than an hour until rescuers could get to them, right the raft and tow them safely to land, authorities said.

Pub Date: 6/21/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.