William T. Whiteley III, 66, longtime sales...

June 20, 1998

William T. Whiteley III, 66, longtime sales engineer

William Talbot Whiteley III, a retired sales engineer and past president of the St. George's Society of Baltimore, died Sunday of a heart attack at his Monkton home. He was 66.

Mr. Whiteley had been a sales engineer with Concrete Pipe & Products Co. in Jessup for many years. In 1990, he joined the staff of Ratrie, Robbins and Schweizer, manufacturers of road construction materials. He retired in 1995.

In addition to the St. George's Society of Baltimore, Mr. Whiteley was a member of the Timonium-Cockeysville Kiwanis Club and Mount Moriah Lodge.

Born and raised in Towson, he was a 1950 graduate of St. Paul's School in Brooklandville and attended the Johns Hopkins University.

He was a communicant of St. James Episcopal Church in Monkton, where services were held yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 40 years, the former Joy Milhous; a son, William Talbot Whiteley IV of Freeland; and a daughter, Diane Chandler Whiteley of Hackettstown, N.J.

John F. Connolley Sr., 79, owned contracting company

John F. Connolley Sr., founder and president of a Laurel contracting company, died Tuesdayof respiratory failure at Ridgeway Manor in Catonsville.

The longtime Arbutus resident was 79.

He established the contracting company John F. Connolley Inc. in 1965 and operated the business until he retired in 1983.

He began his construction career in 1946, after World War II service in the Coast Guard.

In 1959, he joined the Maryland City Corp., which built the residential community of Maryland City near Laurel in the early 1960s. He was general superintendent and vice president when he left in 1965.

Born in Centreville, he was reared in Chestertown. Educated in Kent County public schools, he came to Baltimore to work for Rustless Iron & Steel Co. in 1939.

He was a communicant of St. Benedict Roman Catholic Church and a member of the Hibernians and the Sons of Ireland.

Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Thelma Grindell; two sons, Tim Connolley of Baltimore and Joe Connolley of Woodbine; a daughter, Dee Baroch of Parkville; two brothers, Harrison Connolley of Seaford, Del., and Charles Connolley of Providence, R.I.; two sisters, Henrietta Maloney and Ellen Lazzari, both of Smyrna, Del.; 12 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

William Stewart Jefferson Sr., former president of Columbia ,, Bank and Trust Co., died Sundayof congestive heart failure at Lorien Columbia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. He was 77 and lived in Columbia.

Mr. Jefferson helped establish Columbia Bank and Trust in 1967, the new community's first year, and was executive vice president. It was Columbia's first financial institution. He became president in 1969 and retired in 1982.

He began his banking career as a teller at Sussex Trust Co. in Lewes, Del., in 1947 and left as vice president in 1967.

He had been a director of Columbia Bank and Trust, Equitable Bancorp. and Sussex Trust.

He was ordained a deacon by the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland in 1979 and, at the time of his death, was assigned to Grace Episcopal Church in Elkridge, where his duties included performing marriages, pastoral counseling and pastoral care at Howard County General Hospital.

Born in Colver, Pa., he moved to Lewes in 1930 and graduated from high school in 1938. He served in the Coast Guard during World War II, attaining the rank of chief petty officer.

He was involved in numerous civic and charitable organizations, including the Boy Scouts of America, United Way, Howard County YMCA and Howard County Sheltered Workshop. He also was a charter member and past president of the Columbia Rotary Club.

A memorial service was held Thursday.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lorene Newton, whom he married in 1943; three sons, William S. Jefferson Jr. of Richmond, Va., Robert N. Jefferson of Woodbine and C. Alan Jefferson of Ellicott City; a brother, Donald Jefferson, and a sister, Phyllis Hoenen, both of Lewes; and four grandchildren.

Ralph Bertrand Lanning, 82, musician, teacher

Ralph Bertrand Lanning, a professional musician who taught instrumental music for 17 years in Baltimore County public schools, died June 13 of congestive heart failure at Maranatha Village in Springfield, Mo. The former Parkton resident was 82.

Mr. Lanning taught music at Dundalk, Hereford and Dulaney high schools, and in the gifted and talented program at Warren Elementary from 1960 until he retired in 1977.

In 1982, Mr. Lanning moved to Springfield, but returned each summer to Deale, Anne Arundel County, where he had maintained a home since 1945.

Born and raised in Washington, Mr. Lanning -- who played cello, tuba and drums -- performed in President Herbert Hoover's inaugural parade in 1929.

After graduating from high school, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and, as a member of "The President's Own" and later the Army Field Band, performed at White House state dinners and receptions and every inaugural parade from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Dwight D. Eisenhower. He also performed at military funerals in Arlington National Cemetery.

Leaving the Marine Corps in 1946, he enlisted in the Army and played with the Army Field Band until 1957.

He was 47 when he earned his bachelor's degree in 1962 from the then University of Maryland.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at Cedar Grove United Methodist Church, 5965 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, the former Willette Harman; two sons, the Rev. Robert Harry Lanning of Kona, Hawaii, and James W. Lanning of Monnett, Mo.; two daughters, Barbara Jeanne Tatum of Winchester, Va., and Beatrice Anne McGraw of Wiesbaden, Germany; 10 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Pub Date: 6/20/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.