Malfunctioning TV causes 3-alarm fire that heavily damages Hampstead house Residents were not home

no firefighters injured

June 12, 1998|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

A Civil War-era home in Hampstead was heavily damaged yesterday by a fire that authorities attributed to a malfunctioning television atop a clothes hamper.

The three-alarm blaze, which started about 11 a.m. in the 4500 block of Gross Mill Road, was brought under control in about two hours by 80 firefighters from Hampstead, Manchester, Lineboro, Winfield, Westminster, New Windsor, Pleasant Valley and Baltimore County companies from Arcadia and Boring.

The homeowners, Frank and Diane Safar, and their children, ages 7 and 5, were not home, and no firefighters were injured, state fire marshals said.

Damage to the two-story dwelling was estimated at $80,000.

The original section of the house was constructed with logs in 1863 and a front addition was built in 1930, fire marshals said.

The family was displaced and is staying with nearby relatives, officials said.

The first firefighters to arrive pinpointed the fire's origin to the master bedroom. The flames quickly spread from the television to a dresser and into a wall, raging to the attic and forcing fire officials to sound a second alarm.

A third alarm was sounded about 12: 30 p.m., mainly to call additional manpower to assist with the cleanup, authorities said.

Pub Date: 6/12/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.