Judge accused of indecent exposure wants trial Plan to inactivate sex offense charges had been denied

June 09, 1998|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

A prominent Prince George's County judge charged with groping a policeman in an Annapolis Mall bathroom asked for a Circuit Court trial in Anne Arundel County yesterday, after a District Court judge refused to inactivate the case without a finding of guilt or innocence.

The request will give Larnzell Martin Jr., 47, of the Prince George's County Circuit Court, a chance to find a judge who might accept the agreement worked out between his lawyer and the prosecutor. Other options are trial by jury or by only a judge, or entering a different plea.

Neither Martin, of Bowie, nor his lawyer, William Brennan Jr., would comment.

Brennan and Assistant State's Attorney Sue-Ellen Hantman, who was brought in from Howard County to prosecute the case, had agreed to inactivate the misdemeanor charges of indecent exposure, fourth-degree sex offense and second-degree assault. The maximum penalty for convictions would be 14 years in prison and $4,500 in fines.

But District Judge Vincent A. Mulieri turned them down.

"I am not convinced that the stet [inactivation] is the proper way to do it," he said.

Hantman, who has been a prosecutor for 18 years, said neither she nor Brennan "ever had a judge turn down a stet."

The Anne Arundel state's attorney's office brought in Hantman to avoid charges of a conflict of interest because it had hired Martin's law clerk two weeks before the alleged incident Jan. 14.

Hantman said she did not consult Anne Arundel prosecutors for Martin's case, but reviewed it herself.

"It is what I think is appropriate, under all the circumstances," she said.

Prosecutors can revive a charge within a year after a case is "stetted," or made inactive. But a judge must reinstate the charge within two more years, or the charge dies.

Generally, most first-offenders in men's public-venue sex cases either receive probation before judgment -- in which their convictions can be erased after a year if they comply with the terms of their probation -- or the cases are inactivated, said Kristin Riggin, spokeswoman for the state's attorneys office.

Several high-profile cases, including those of Navy Capt. Michael W. John, then-chief spokesman for Secretary of the Navy John H. Dalton, and Oscar W. Kidd, then-principal of Tyler Heights Elementary School, have been inactivated this year.

Like Martin's case, both were part of plainclothes-police sting operations in response to complaints about homosexual activity, solicitation and pickups in public men's rooms.

Martin, one of 21 Prince George's Circuit Court judges, was the respected chief of the court's family division, but has been assigned to paperwork duties. The case is being closely watched by the Attorney Grievance Commission, which can seek to disbar a lawyer, and the Commission on Judicial Disabilities, which sanctions judges.

County police set up a sting operation in the men's bathroom of Hecht Co. in Annapolis Mall after receiving complaints about sexual activity there. Martin is accused of grabbing a police officer's crotch and leg, and exposing himself in the bathroom about 8: 30 p.m. Jan. 14. When police arrested him, they had no idea who he was and he did not tell them, they said.

A Dallas native, Martin moved to Maryland after graduating from Georgetown University Law Center in 1975. He was in private practice in Prince George's County until then-County Executive Parris N. Glendening named him county attorney in 1986. He held the post for two years, and shortly thereafter was appointed to the District Court. He has been on the Circuit Court since 1990.

Pub Date: 6/09/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.