Dr. Harald H. Fauter, 70, obstetrician, gynecologistDr...

June 04, 1998

Dr. Harald H. Fauter, 70, obstetrician, gynecologist

Dr. Harald H. Fauter, who practiced obstetrics and gynecology for 30 years, died of prostate cancer Sunday at his Reisterstown home. He was 70.

Dr. Fauter, who retired in 1994, practiced in Randallstown and Perry Hall.

Born in Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany, Dr. Fauter earned bachelor's and medical degrees from the University of Tuebingen.

He immigrated to Baltimore in 1959 and completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Union Memorial Hospital. He was on the staff there and at Greater Baltimore and Northwest medical centers.

He enjoyed tennis, listening to classical music and jazz, and gardening. He also collected antique clocks, paintings and furniture.

Services were yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Ingeborg Hoegerich; two daughters, Nicole Maxwell of Owings Mills and Jacquie MacConnell of Upper Montclair, N.J.; two brothers, Rolf Fauter of Freiburg, Germany, and Edgar Fauter of Schwaebisch Gmuend; and five grandchildren.

Bryce DuVal Jacobsen, 78, St. John's College teacher

Bryce DuVal Jacobsen, who taught mathematics and biology and directed intramural sports at St. John's College in Annapolis, died of a stroke Sunday at Spa Creek Rehabilitation Center. He was 78.

The Annapolis resident was director of intramurals and a faculty member at St. John's from 1958 to 1988, when he retired.

The Towson native earned a bachelor's degree from St. John's in 1942.

A conscientious objector during World War II, he spent 13 months in a federal prison in Ashland, Ky., where he gained experience working on the prison farm.

In 1944, he purchased a dairy farm in Heidlersburg, Pa., and operated it -- while also working as a carpenter -- until 1958 when he sold the farm and moved to Annapolis.

In the mid-1980s, he, his son and grandson established Jacobsen Construction Co., building and renovating houses.

Mr. Jacobsen was a philatelist and Orioles fan.

Plans for a memorial service are incomplete.

He is survived by his wife, the former Phebe Robinson, whom he married in 1943; a son, Eric G. Jacobsen of Annapolis; a daughter, Kristin Onyeme of Charlotte, N.C.; two brothers, Jerome G. Jacobsen of Mansfield, Ohio, and John Jacobsen of Anchorage, Alaska; a sister, Karen Jacobsen of Towson; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Herman Henson Hollis, 84, post office supervisor

Herman Henson Hollis, a retired postal worker, died Saturday at Liberty Medical Center of heart failure. The lifelong East Baltimore resident was 84.

Mr. Hollis attended city public schools and worked at a catering company before joining the U.S. Postal Service in 1943. He retired as a supervisor of mail handlers in 1973.

For more than 50 years, he was a member of Centennial United Methodist Church, 1029 E. Monument St., where services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

He married Goldie Creth in 1942. She died in 1945.

He is survived by a daughter, Marian H. Cromartie of Baltimore; eight grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandson.

Joseph M. Gugliuzza, 91, schoolteacher and barber

Joseph Marion Gugliuzza, a retired industrial arts teacher and barber, died Monday of congestive heart failure at his Overlea home. He was 91.

Mr. Gugliuzza began teaching industrial arts in Baltimore schools when he was 19 and retired in 1966, ending a career of 41 years. He spent his last 10 years at Patterson High School.

He also operated Joe's Barber Shop on Belair Road for more than 40 years. He retired from there in the 1970s.

"He was called 'Mr. Marion' by his students because it was easier to say than Gugliuzza," said his son, Salvatore Gugliuzza of Carney.

"He worked two jobs and went to night school at the University of Maryland to get his bachelor's degree in education," the son said.

Born on Colvin Street in East Baltimore, the son of Italian immigrants, Mr. Gugliuzza was a graduate of Polytechnic Institute.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and a communicant of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church, Belair Road and Willow Avenue, Overlea, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today.

He is also survived by his wife of 70 years, the former Adelina Gugliuzza; a daughter, Concetta Carocci of Baltimore; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Marcus E. Smith, 81, owned advertising firm

Marcus E. Smith, owner of an advertising firm, died Saturday of cardiac arrest at his Severna Park residence. He was 81.

Since 1963, Mr. Smith headed Marc Smith Co. Advertising in Severna Park. Earlier, he had worked for Buddemier and Associates and Van Sant Dugdale in Baltimore, and was marketing director for National Brewing Co. in the 1950s.

Born in Cambridge on the Eastern Shore, he graduated from high school there and earned a bachelor's degree in fine arts from the Maryland Institute, College of Art.

During World War II, he was a gunnery officer on Navy supply ships in the Pacific.

He enjoyed landscaping and working around his home on Eagle- nest Point, which overlooked the Severn River, in which he swam daily from April to October, said a son, Marcus E. "Ned" Smith of Chester, Queen Anne's County.

Mr. Smith was a member of St. Martin-in-the-Field Episcopal Church in Severna Park and the Annapolis Yacht Club, and a former member of the Navy League.

Services are private.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Ernestine Johnson; two other sons, Jeff Smith of Portland, Ore., and Truitt Johnson of Augusta, Maine; two daughters, Sarah Metzger of Kill Devil Hills, N.C., and Melissa Srodes of Palatine, Ill.; and 12 grandchildren.

Pub Date: 6/04/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.