Matthew C. Wichita, 21, sporting goods workerMatthew...

April 22, 1998

Matthew C. Wichita, 21, sporting goods worker

Matthew Christopher Wichita died Thursday after he and two friends were attacked at a Florida beach. The Columbia resident was 21.

According to reports, Mr. Wichita and his friends protected young women being harassed by several men. Those men returned and, according to police, killed Mr. Wichita and another man and critically injured a third.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he was being a Good Samaritan," Christine Neperud, 49, said of her son's death. "He was so well loved. He had so many friends."

Hans Allen, 20, of Ellicott City remembered working with Mr. Wichita at Merriweather Post Pavilion. One day, they heard the screams of a woman being assaulted by a man.

"I didn't even have time to think about it," Mr. Allen said. "He just ran down the hill, screaming and yelling. He chased him around for 15 minutes. He was just that kind of guy."

Born in Cockeysville, Mr. Wichita grew up in Columbia, graduating in 1995 from Oakland Mills High School, where he played varsity basketball and football. A Life Scout in Boy Scout Troop 601, he was employed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Family members say he was planning to attend Villa Julie College in September.

"I was so proud of him," said his brother, Michael James Wichita, 24. "He was working so hard."

"He just loved his friends," said Jennifer Tiemeyer, 19, his girlfriend. "And his family. He'd give anybody the shirt off his back."

Services will be held 10 a.m. Friday at Wilde Lake Interfaith Center.

In addition to his mother and brother, he is survived by his father, Michael Wichita of Stewartstown, Pa.; his stepfather, Peter Neperud; and two stepbrothers and one stepsister.

Kevans Bradshaw Hall II, 23, served in Air Force

Kevans Bradshaw Hall II of Columbia, a former Air Force military police officer, died Thursday in Florida after he was attacked while vacationing with longtime friends. He was 23.

Hall and his friends went to the defense of women being harassed by men, who returned and killed Hall and another Columbia man.

"That's not surprising," said best friend Daniel Voyles, who went to high school with Hall. "He was always helping people out. Nev had a big heart."

Hall was nicknamed Nev by his friends and family.

Born in Baltimore, Hall attended Catonsville elementary schools until his family moved to Columbia. At Oakland Mills, he joined the ROTC and played lacrosse and football but found wrestling to be his favorite sport.

"He started his senior year, basically knowing nothing, to placing third in the counties," said then-assistant wrestling coach Brian Chadwick.

After graduation in 1992, Hall joined the Air Force and traveled around the country for 2 1/2 years. Hall recently began taking classes at Howard Community College and worked as a waiter at Columbia Inn.

"He was a real good kid," his mother, Jill Carter, said. "He loved his family, loved his friends and enjoyed life. It's hard to believe that he's gone."

Services are scheduled for 10: 30 a.m. tomorrow at James A. Morton & Sons Funeral Home, 1701 Laurens St.

Hall is also survived by his father, Kevans Bradshaw Hall Sr. of Baltimore; a brother, Tajuan Hall of Columbia; a sister, Cachet Hall of Baltimore; his grandparents, Sam and Delia Hall of Catonsville; and a niece and a nephew.

Contributions may be made in Hall's name to the OMHS/Good Samaritan Fund, P.O. Box 1235, Columbia 21044.

Pub Date: 4/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.