Behind by 7, Reds roar to 15-11 win Roland Park overcomes Mount Hebron's 9-2 lead

Girls lacrosse

March 28, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Erin McInnes knew 25 minutes were left.

"The game wasn't over. We knew we had another half," said the Roland Park senior midfielder. "We had to forget the first half and play our game."

And that's exactly what the visiting Reds did. Trailing No. 4-ranked Mount Hebron yesterday by seven goals at halftime, third-ranked Roland Park (8-0) played a terrific second half, scoring 13 goals en route to a 15-11 victory.

"I have to give them credit. They did what they had to do to win the game," said Mount Hebron coach Chris Robinson, whose team led 9-2 at halftime. "They executed very well in the second half."

McInnes said her team "knew what we needed to do" in the second half. "We had to step up our defense and capitalize on our attack."

McInnes, who scored three of her team-high four goals in the second half, and her teammates made it happen.

The Reds' defense came up with two stops in the first 2 1/2 minutes of the second half. Then Betsy Gaines, Kelsey Twist and Lauren Miller scored to make it 9-5 with 18 minutes left.

"Getting those two stops and following it up with some goals gave us the confidence we needed," said Roland Park coach Tara Kramer.

Said Mount Hebron's Katie Nordhoff: "You could just tell they were going to come back after they scored the first three goals."

A goal by Elizabeth Ryan and two from McInnes got Roland Park to within 9-8, but Mount Hebron's Lauren Kickham scored with 14 minutes remaining to stop the run temporarily.

Trish Derwart's goal gave Mount Hebron (1-2) an 11-9 lead with 10 minutes left. From then on, it was all Roland Park.

Gaines scored to make it a one-goal game. Miller tied it with eight minutes left. Twist, a freshman defenseman who didn't start, gave the Reds their first lead, 12-11, with 4: 30 remaining.

"I shot it and it came off the goalie," Twist said. "It was really cluttered in there. I picked it up and flicked it in over the goalie's shoulder."

Natalie Rothemund, Miller and McInnes ended the scoring.

Mount Hebron, led by Tracey Bounds, Nordhoff and Trish Derwart, had a great first half.

"We came out with the intensity we needed to win the game, but we didn't continue it in the second half," Robinson said.

Pub Date: 3/28/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.