Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 28, 1998

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: If someone is receiving Social Security benefits, but you still provided more than half of their support, can you still claim them?

A: Yes. To claim people as dependents you must furnish more than half of their support. In determining whether you furnish more than half of a dependent's support, you must compare your contribution with the support the dependent received from all sources. This includes the money the person used for his own support, gifts, savings, Social Security, welfare benefits and other public assistance programs.

Marc Strauss, Strauss & Associates

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County, 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site:

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 3/28/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.