Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 27, 1998

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: My husband and I are seniors and have IRA distributions to report on Form 1040A, line 10A. We also have a pension, which I believe should be included on Line 11A. Also, we have distributions from variable annuities that were rolled over from IRA accounts. Should the pension and variable annuities be on 11A and B?

A: Based on the information presented, the variable annuities may have retained their character as IRA accounts and distribution from the annuities would be reported on lines 10a and 10b of Form 1040A, along with your other IRA distributions. You should have received a Form 1099-R from your annuity company. Box 7 on Form 1099-R has two sections. One shows a distribution code. The other section indicates whether the distribution is from an IRA or SEP account. If the Form 1099-R indicates that the distribution is from an IRA, it should be reported on lines 10a and 10b. If the 1099-R does not indicate the annuity distribution is from an IRA, it should be included on lines 11a and 11b along with the pension.

Richard Kierson, CPA, Neuman & Associates

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County, 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site:

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 3/27/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.