2nd-half rally boosts Saints past Cardinals St. Mary's adjustments edge Calvert Hall, 11-9

March 25, 1998|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

St. Mary's spent almost all the first half yesterday looking for an opening against a Calvert Hall team that always seemed to stay a step ahead.

Finally, it came when junior attacker Chris Summers scored off a restart with three seconds left until the break, cutting the Cardinals' lead to one goal.

Following the necessary halftime adjustments, the No. 7-ranked Saints took control in the second half to earn an 11-9 upset victory over No. 6-ranked Calvert Hall in MIAA A Conference action in Annapolis.

Summers finished the afternoon with five goals -- including the game-winner late in the third quarter -- and two assists to lead the Saints. Senior attacker Kevin Callahan also had a four-goal, one-assist effort.

At the other end, junior goalie Chris Garrity (15 saves) had a strong second-half performance to preserve the win.

After Summers' late second-quarter goal gave the Saints (2-0) a lift going into the break, Callahan kept it going with his third goal of the day 34 seconds into the third quarter to tie the game at 6.

"Summers' goal was very important to get it within 6-5 and then we came right back with that sixth goal. Those were momentum changers and really pumped us up," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "In the second half, we came out and played more of a 2-3-1 zone to get our attack more on the wings. They're an aggressive team and slide very well, so we wanted to control the ball better and spread out the offense."

Summers and senior midfielder Ryan Metzbower scored to give the Saints an 8-6 lead with 7: 56 left in the game before Calvert Hall's Brett Wagner (five goals) got one back with a man-advantage goal with 7: 01 left.

Garrity came up with a number of big saves down the stretch, including a point-blank shot by Mike Norton, who was all alone in front with the Saints leading 9-7.

After Mike LaMonica got the Cardinals (0-3) within 9-8 with 3: 53 left, Callahan and Summers scored to give the Saints their biggest lead at 11-8 before Wagner closed out the scoring.

"We did a better job of controlling the ball in the second half and it was a good team effort with everyone chipping in," said Summers. "It's always close [against Calvert Hall]. Last year, they beat us in overtime so we wanted to come back and get this one."

Calvert Hall coach Bryan Kelly said it came down to execution. Some costly penalties gave the Saints some man-advantage opportunities they made the most of to get back in the game.

"They just played smarter than we did," he said. "We made a lot of mental mistakes and didn't execute. We need to show more maturity, play with our heads more and I know we can. We'll be better."

Calvert Hall goalie Tony Russo finished with 14 saves.

Pub Date: 3/25/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.