Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 22 in Rossville apartments to hospitals

March 25, 1998|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

Twenty-two people were hospitalized last night with carbon monoxide poisoning, and the eastern Baltimore County apartment complex where they live was evacuated, a county Fire Department spokesman said.

Firefighters were called to Ross Ridge Apartments in the first block of Parham Circle in Rossville about 5 p.m. after members of a family in a ground-floor apartment, who had been feeling ill for several days, bought a carbon monoxide detector that went off as soon as it was installed, said Battalion Chief Mark Hubbard, the spokesman.

Hubbard said firefighters tested several apartments in the complex and found unusually high levels of carbon monoxide.

He said residents' symptoms included headaches, dizziness and fatigue.

Hubbard said 22 residents, including two children, were treated at Franklin Square Hospital Center and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for breathing difficulties and other carbon monoxide-related symptoms. They were to be released last night.

Six others were treated at the scene, Hubbard said.

If the detector had not been installed, residents could have died, Hubbard said.

"There was a chance that people would have gone to sleep last night and not gotten up in the morning," he said.

Karl Neddenien, a Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. spokesman, said the fumes were traced to a gas heater in the apartment from which firefighters were called.

The apartment complex's management planned to make repairs.

Pub Date: 3/25/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.