Gilman prevails in two-OT struggle Hounds nip McDonogh, 13-12, in game with 10 ties

March 21, 1998|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Andrew Faraone's goal with 2: 35 left in the second four-minute overtime hoisted No. 1-ranked Gilman to a 13-12 sudden-victory yesterday at No. 5 McDonogh in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference opener for both teams.

Gilman had controlled all but a few seconds of the first overtime of a game played in chilly rain, but Faraone -- who had three goals on the day -- missed two of the Greyhounds' four shots in that stanza.

"We decided to attack from the outside, because we felt the conditions made it tough on their defense sliding to the middle. Andrew hit a seam and stuck one," said coach John Tucker, whose Greyhounds emerged winner of a game that was tied 10 times.

"This was a big win against a well-coached team," said Tucker, crediting McDonogh coach Jake Reed. "Being No. 1 is flattering, but that can change with the league's balance."

Leading Gilman (3-0, 1-0) was Duke-bound Alex Lieske, who had four goals and four assists; sophomore Ryan Boyle (two goals, four assists); and junior Andrew Lucas (three, two). Gilman's Kevin Boland also scored.

McDonogh (1-1, 0-1) got balanced scoring from Bob Benson (three, one), Brian McGregor (three goals), Ryan Floyd (one, two), Owen Daly (one, two) and Walid Hajj (one, one), with one goal each from Matt Primm, James Disney and Brad Dumont.

Boyle's goal with 1: 31 left in the third period, and his subsequent assist on a score by Lucas 16 seconds before the fourth period, turned a 9-8 deficit into a 10-9 Gilman lead. Lucas' goal capped a three-pass relay started by All-Metro defender Damien Davis.

But McGregor's consecutive tallies, followed by another from Lieske, had the game tied at 11-all with 7: 40 to play. Down, 12-11, with 4: 32 left, Lieske fed Lucas to knot the game at 12 seven seconds later.

Gilman got a yeoman effort from sophomore keeper Jay Pfiefer (14 saves), as did the Eagles, from junior Rob Scherr (10 saves). Pfiefer cradled point-blank shots with 3: 32 and 0: 44 left in regulation, and Scherr handled Faraone's 10-yard blast in the first overtime.

Gilman's Swarthmore-bound midfielder Blake Atkins won both overtime faceoffs and teamed with Harvard-bound Mike Tully for an overall advantage of 17-10 on the draws.

Gilman led 3-0 with 7: 04 left in the first period after Boyle, &L Boland and Lieske scored the team's first three shots. But after the Eagles tied the game at 3-3 on goals by Primm, Disney and Benson, neither team could build more than a one-goal lead.

"We played well through the first overtime and thought we should have had them," said McDonogh defender Joe Rosenbaum. "That one [goal] got by us in overtime, but we're not going to get down about this. We'll come back from this."

Pub Date: 3/21/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.