Fast start by St. Mary's pins 11-5 loss on neighboring Severn Saints build 7-goal lead in first half, then coast

March 21, 1998|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

More than the usual neighborhood bragging rights was at stake in yesterday's matchup between archrivals Severn and St. Mary's.

With the two Anne Arundel County private schools lumped together in Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference this season, yesterday's league opener at Weems-Whalen Memorial Field provided an opportunity for one them to take an early lead in the playoff race.

St. Mary's seized the moment.

The seventh-ranked Saints opened up a seven-goal lead in the first half and coasted to an 11-5 victory on a cold, rainy day in Annapolis.

"We did a nice job in the first half controlling the action, and we got some good unsettled opportunities. But we're young, and we still have a long way to go," said Saints coach Jim Moorhead. "It's only one game, but it's nice to get the first win under our belt."

Senior midfielder Adam Shiley scored the first goal of the season for the Saints (1-0) on a feed from Chris Summers midway through the first quarter, and Beau Pich, one of two transfers from Howard County's River Hill, made it a 2-0 game with an unassisted goal late in the first period.

Senior Ryan Metzbower, who was a sophomore when the Saints went undefeated two seasons ago, fed John Harrison on a goal 52 seconds into the second quarter. Metzbower's goal at the 9: )) 21 mark upped the Saints margin to 5-0.

Junior attackman Marshall Feldman put the Admirals (2-1, 0-1) on the board with 8: 10 left in the half, but St. Mary's closed out the period with three unanswered goals, including another by Pich, who finished with a team-high two goals and two assists.

"We came out, we were intimidated in the first quarter, and it hurt us," said Severn third-year Charlie Toomey. "We lost the ball in the first quarter, because we couldn't catch and throw on offense. St. Mary's is a good team, but we hurt ourselves. They didn't beat us half-field today. They beat us on the full-field fast break."

Freshman Drew Haybeck scored the first of his team-high three goals for Severn early in the third quarter, and less than two minutes later teammate Randy Newman cut the lead to 8-3.

Summers, a junior attackman who was credited with the game-winner, ended the visitors' third-quarter run with an unassisted goal. Kevin Callahan then converted a pass from John Thomas to make it 10-3.

Haybeck countered with back-to-back, fourth-quarter goals.

Pub Date: 3/21/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.