Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 19, 1998

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I own a condominium and pay a condominium fee. The fees are for common purpose, such as lawn maintenance and insurance on the buildings. Is this a deductible fee either as a homeowner taxation or local taxes in Schedule A?

A: No, these fees are not deductible on Schedule A. These fees are considered personal expenses and fall within the same category as rent. Therefore, the individual is not entitled to deduct maintenance or insurance, whether it is paid through a homeowners association, condominium fee or any other type of program.

David Hoffman, CPA, Deloitte & Touche

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County, 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site:

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 3/19/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.