Smoke detector alerts family all escape house fire unharmed lTC

March 17, 1998

Authorities credited a smoke detector with saving the lives of a New Windsor family when a blaze broke out in a home on Dennings Road early Sunday.

David and Patricia Watts were awakened about 4 a.m. by the smoke detector and got their 12-year-old son and 15-month-old daughter out of the house.

State fire marshals determined the fire began in an unfinished basement laundry area. A smoldering fire consumed clothing in front of the dryer and sent smoke throughout the house.

Firefighters from New Windsor, Westminster and Winfield brought the blaze under control in 15 minutes. Damage was estimated at $10,000.

The family is temporarily staying with relatives in the area.

Fires

Taneytown: Firefighters responded to an car fire in the 100 block of Baumgardner Ave. at 6: 59 a.m. Saturday. Units were out an hour.

New Windsor: Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at 3: 01 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Springdale Ave. Units were out 20 minutes.

Pub Date: 3/17/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.