Last-minute goal sends Penn State past Hoyas Princeton pounds Carolina on Hubbard's 4 goals, 18-10

March 16, 1998|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

Senior midfielder Adam Pitarra scored with 37 seconds left and unranked Penn State outlasted No. 6 Georgetown, 14-13, yesterday in men's lacrosse before 345 in State College, Pa.

Todd Kaiser led the Nittany Lions (2-2) with three goals and two assists, and John Chesacavage and Todd Korte each added three goals.

The Hoyas (3-1) led 11-9 early in the fourth quarter, but Penn State rallied with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 10: 04 left. Georgetown twice tied the game in the final 9: 31, on goals by Andy Flick and Scott Urick before Pitarra's game-winner.

A back-and-forth game saw neither team lead by more than a goal until late in the third period, when Greg McCavera's fourth goal gave Georgetown a 10-8 lead with 4: 14 remaining.

McCavera led the Hoyas with a career-high five goals and Flick chipped in with four goals and an assist.

Penn State outshot Georgetown 40-39, but the Hoyas won more ground balls (41-35) and faceoffs (15 of 28).

No. 4 Princeton 18, No. 10 North Carolina 10: Jesse Hubbard scored four goals and two assists as the Tigers (2-1) ran their home winning streak to 14 games before 2,182 at Class of 1952 Stadium. Chris Massey contributed three goals for Princeton.

The Tigers led 4-1 after one quarter and 9-4 at halftime. The Tar Heels (2-3) pulled within three twice, the last at 10-7 early in the fourth period, but Princeton pulled away by scoring seven of the next eight goals.

Hubbard extended his school record for career goals to 127. Massey has scored at least a goal in a school-record 38 straight games.


No. 1 North Carolina 10, No. 6 Loyola 4: Erin McInnis had five goals and the host Tar Heels (4-0) led from the start on the way to beating the Greyhounds (1-1) at Fetzer Field.

North Carolina scored the first three goals, including two by McInnis, and all on free position shots. After Loyola got within 5-2 on a goal by Erin Wylde, McInnis converted twice in the final minute of the opening half to push the Tar Heels' lead to 7-2 at intermission.

The Greyhounds scored the first two goals of the second half to again pull within 7-4, but North Carolina pulled away with three consecutive free position goals.

Pub Date: 3/16/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.