Stove extension blaze damages home, 3 cars

March 16, 1998

A fire started from a wood stove extension in a garage caused an estimated $50,000 damage to the dwelling and $20,000 damage to three vehicles in Mount Airy on Friday.

Firefighters were called to the two-story wood-frame house at 314 N. Main St. at 11: 21 a.m. When firefighters arrived, the garage, a breezeway and part of the house were on fire, Mount Airy Deputy Fire Chief Doug Alexander said.

"We're not sure exactly how it started, but the stove ignited some combustible material in the garage ceiling," Alexander said. "The people were working in the garage when it started and called the Fire Department."

Units from Mount Airy, Winfield, Westminster, New Market in Frederick County, Lisbon in Howard County and Damascus in Montgomery County, responded. The fire was declared under control at 12: 14 p.m.

Fire

Winfield: Firefighters from Winfield, Mount Airy and New Windsor responded to a chimney fire in the 2400 block of Braddock Road at 10: 55 p.m. Thursday.

Pub Date: 3/16/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.