UMBC evens record at 2-2 with 11-5 win over Lehigh Hampson makes 19 saves

Turner, Ratcliffe lead attack

March 15, 1998|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

In the long run, maybe it will work out to UMBC's advantage losing the first two games of the lacrosse season to Navy and Towson.

Since those setbacks, "We've had a couple of good weeks of practice," said Retrievers coach Don Zimmerman, "and if we continue to practice well, it will undoubtedly show up down the road."

The latest ranking in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association poll -- UMBC, No. 23; Lehigh, No. 24 -- suggested the matchup at Retriever Stadium yesterday was going to be close, perhaps even a tossup. Wrong.

Led by attackmen Chris Turner and Jeff Ratcliffe and goalie Andy Hampson, having a sensational game in net, UMBC broke fast and rarely looked back while thumping Lehigh, 11-5, and leveling its record at 2-2.

"Despite getting out to a lead [3-0 in the first eight minutes], we didn't show very good discipline at the start," said Zimmerman. "Conditions [gale-force winds] weren't very good, but, still, we shouldn't have been so sloppy. That's when Hampson took care of us."

A goalie is doing a fine job if he makes saves at a 60 percent rate. On this occasion, Hampson, the rugged, 6-foot-1, 215-pound junior, made 19 saves as opposed to allowing five goals for a save percentile of .792.

Which is a long way from the .474 percentage he had in the first two games. "He was a little shaky then, but we had confidence in him," said the coach. "You couldn't ask for a better guy than Andy when he comes to wanting to be successful and working hard to achieve it. He has size, good hand speed and he jumps rope every day to quicken his feet."

Quick feet, that's what got UMBC rolling early. Ratcliffe, celebrating his 22nd birthday a day early, hit the first of his three goals after three minutes. Before Lehigh could mount any sort of offensive, Eric Barger and Mark Cormes had the home team up 3-0. Then Turner took over. The team's leading scorer (12-618) scored the next three goals, more than negating a pair by Lehigh, and UMBC was controlling the game.

Lehigh had some solid individual performers, led by Mark Duncan, who registered a hat trick. But the fact that none of the team's five goals were accompanied by an assist speaks volumes. The difference in depth between the squads was marked.

"We were able to use a lot of players [nearly the entire 32-man roster] because of the practices we've been having," said Zimmerman.

NOTE: UMBC top attackman Dan Marohl suffered a separated shoulder.

Pub Date: 3/15/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.