Terps quell enthusiastic Cornell, 15-8 Fired-up Big Red hangs with Maryland in first half

Hahn scores four goals

March 15, 1998|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

COLLEGE PARK -- Upset-minded Cornell came to Byrd Stadium yesterday riding a wave of emotion, having earned first-year coach Dave Pietramala his first collegiate win just three days earlier.

"Dave has injected a tremendous amount of enthusiasm into Cornell's program," Maryland coach Dick Edell said of the former Johns Hopkins star, just moments after seeing his No. 3 Terps improve to 5-0 with a 15-8 victory over the Big Red. "Dave's guys were fired up from the second they got off the bus last night for pre-game practice.

"They were very emotional and they played that way. The emotion carried them for a bit there in the first half."

Maryland, which had 10 players in the scoring column, got a big boost from attackmen Matt Hahn, Scott Hochstadt and Andrew Whipple. Hahn extended his scoring streak to 50 games after finishing with a team-high four goals and Hochstadt (Boys' Latin) added two goals, including the game-winner, during the pivotal third quarter.

After a back-and-forth first half that saw Cornell tie the game five times, Hochstadt scored the only two goals of the third quarter, one coming on a feed from Whipple (two goals, three assists), and the other an extra-man goal off an assist from Bill Ruhl that put the Terps ahead 10-6.

"They were trying to frustrate us by holding the ball on the offensive end and for a while it was working," said Hochstadt. "They figured once our offense got it we would try to do something crazy, but we settled down, we had our chances and we started stepping up in the second half and really putting them away."

Hahn completed his third consecutive hat trick and 20th of his career on an unassisted goal early in the fourth quarter and Frank Radin followed it with a slap-shot goal that upped the margin to 12-6.

"We're really up there in the rankings now and we know that every game, teams are going to be gunning for us and we're going to have to play as hard as we can because the team we're playing against leaves everything on the field," said Hahn. "Cornell came out and played us real well in the first half. We really had to come out on fire and put them away for a little bit in the beginning of the second half to calm them down."

The Big Red (1-3), which hasn't defeated the Terps since their victory over Maryland in the 1976 NCAA championship game, took a 2-1 lead on a goal by Josh Morgan (Annapolis). The Terps, who have led in all but 6 minutes and 52 seconds of their first five games, tied the score seven seconds later as Brian Haggerty won the faceoff and ran straight at the goal before firing a sidearm shot past Cornell keeper Rich Yost (six saves).

The visitors from Ithaca, N.Y., tied the game at 6 on a goal by Baltimore native Matt Wise. The Terps regained the lead for good 51 seconds later when Chris Malone converted a pass from Hochstadt with 4: 12 left in the half.

"It's tougher getting up for games against teams that aren't ranked, but we know we can't underestimate anybody," said Hochstadt. "It was a tough game to get up for, but we came through and played hard until the end."

Pub Date: 3/15/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.