Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 14, 1998

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I am married. If I file a joint federal income tax return, do I have to file jointly on my Maryland tax return? Or can I choose to file separately for Maryland?

A: You may file separately in Maryland only if: 1) One spouse is a resident and one a nonresident; 2) The spouses are domiciled or maintained principal places of abode in different counties on the last day of the taxable year; 3) The spouses have different taxable periods and 4) The comptroller determines circumstances warrant.

Cindie S. Rosenzweig, CPA, Hertzbach & Co. The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County, 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site:

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 3/14/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.