Nearly 2,000 people helped County Executive C...


March 11, 1998|By From staff reports

WOODLAWN -- Nearly 2,000 people helped County Executive C. A. Dutch Ruppersberger raise more than $300,000 at his annual political fund-raiser last night, tickets to which read "Four More Outstanding Years."

Many observers expect the Democratic leader to stick to that plan and run for a second term, and he seemed to confirm the expectation last night. Ruppersberger began his remarks by announcing a statewide campaign, then said, "Oops, wrong speech."

The two-tiered event featured a private gathering early for $500-per-ticket donors, and a $125-per-person affair later at the Martin's West catering hall. No challenger -- Democratic or Republican -- has emerged.

New, larger advocacy center for children is planned


TOWSON -- Children who are physically abused will get more attention at a new, larger Child Advocacy Center that the county plans to open in a former music store in the 600 block of Dulaney Valley Road, officials said.

The County Council is scheduled to approve a $610,000 lease Monday night for the space, which would allow social workers, police, medical workers and the county state's attorney to work more closely on child abuse cases. The current center, in the old Loch Raven Library, handles only child sexual abuse cases.

The council also is set to approve a $24,677 federal grant that will allow computerization of more than 35,000 file cards on victims and suspected perpetrators of sexual abuse crimes.

Marchione gives council update on reorganization


TOWSON -- The county school superintendent gave County Council members an update on his administrative reorganization yesterday during a lunchtime meeting, earning approval for his plans to cut about a dozen positions from the district's central office.

The reorganization -- which divides almost all of the district's administrators into the categories of education and business -- furthers Superintendent Anthony G. Marchione's goal of shifting resources from headquarters to local schools.

Council members -- most of whom have long sought reductions in the district's central staff -- praised plans to cut administrative slots and shift positions to the schools. The reorganization was first announced last month when the school board approved its budget for 1998-1999.

Two Baltimore women who say former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson assaulted them in a Washington restaurant have filed a $22.5 million lawsuit against him.

In the suit filed Monday in Montgomery County Circuit Court, optician Sherry Cole and correctional officer Chevelle Butts, both 30, allege that Tyson turned over a table at Au Pied de Cochon on March 1 and shouted epithets at them after Cole told Tyson she would not go home with him. The women had been invited to eat breakfast with Tyson's group, according to the suit.

"This is just another attempt to wrongfully embarrass Mike Tyson through meritless litigation against which he will vigorously defend himself," Tyson's lawyer, John Branca, said in a statement released through his spokesman. "He is currently considering a counter claim."

Man killed by subway train in Charles Center station

A man apparently jumped in front of a Metro train as it pulled into the underground Charles Center station at Charles and Baltimore streets yesterday, the second apparent suicide in the rail system's 15-year history.

City police said witnesses saw George Rasin, 48, of the 3600 block of Hineline Road in Southwest Baltimore jump from the south platform in front of the train about 4 p.m. The incident forced the Mass Transit Administration to close the station for several hours, said Anthony Brown, an MTA spokesman.

Girl, 17, fatally shot; suspect caught after chase

A 17-year-old girl was fatally shot about 11: 40 p.m. Monday at Lexington and Howard streets, and a suspect was arrested shortly afterward, police said yesterday.

Ruth Lawrence of the first block of W. Franklin St. was pronounced dead at the scene of multiple gunshot wounds, said Agent Ragina L. Cooper, a police spokeswoman. Cooper said a Mass Transit Administration police officer heard the gunshots and chased a man, catching him a few blocks away at Fayette Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard. The man had a 9 mm handgun in his pocket, she said.

Cooper said Manzell Broom, 23, of the 1800 block of Clifton Ave. was charged with first-degree murder.

Worker at rubber plant loses both arms in machine

An employee of a Southwest Baltimore rubber coating plant lost both his arms yesterday when they became entangled in a machine at the plant, police said.

Police said the employee of Rubber Millers in the 700 block of S. Caton Ave. apparently failed to turn off a rubber-coating machine before feeding canvas into it and caught his arms in the device about 2: 30 p.m.

They said the man lost an arm below the elbow and the other above the elbow and was in critical condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. His name was being withheld pending notification of family.

Pub Date: 3/11/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.