Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 07, 1998

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: My husband pays $100 a week in court-ordered child support plus health insurance for his 1 1/2 -year-old child that was born out of wedlock. The baby has his last name. Can he claim her as a dependent? We also have one child together that he claims.

A: Your husband can claim the child as a dependent if he and the child's mother together provide over half of the child's support and the child is in custody of the parents over half of the year. If the child lived with his or her mother more than half the year, the mother must sign Form 8332 in order to allow your husband to claim the child as a dependent. This form can allow the noncustodial parent to claim the child for a single year, for specified years, or for all future years.

John P. Abosch, KAWG&F, PA The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County, 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. You can also submit questions by e-mail through The Sun's Web site:

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 3/07/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.