Officer shoots man in wrist in attic confrontation Assault charges filed after lengthy standoff

March 06, 1998|By Dail Willis | Dail Willis,SUN STAFF

A man wanted for failure to appear on a traffic charge held a Baltimore County tactical team at bay near Glen Arm yesterday but surrendered after an officer shot him in the wrist during a confrontation in an attic, police said.

Robert W. Yoos, 33, of the 6700 block of Mount Vista Road in northeastern Baltimore County was charged with two counts of second-degree assault and one handgun violation, said police spokesman Bill Toohey.

The confrontation began at 3: 30 a.m. when three bail bondsmen went to the Mount Vista Road address where Yoos rented a room, Toohey said. The bail bondsmen were looking for Yoos because he failed to appear in court Feb. 4 for trial on charges of knowingly giving false information about an accident, Toohey said.

Yoos showed the bail bondsmen a handgun and ran upstairs, Toohey said. The bondsmen called 911, and officers from the Parkville precinct went to the house.

The officers found two shotguns and an assault rifle on the first floor but could not find Yoos, Toohey said. They called for assistance, and the tactical team and negotiators arrived.

Tactical officers searched the first and second floors and then heard movement in the attic.

Four tactical officers climbed into the attic, which was accessible by a ladder that dropped from the ceiling. Once inside the dark attic they saw a man with a gun held to his head, Toohey said. The man threatened to kill himself.

Finally, about 11 a.m., the man began waving the gun -- and a tactical officer fired one shot that struck Yoos in the right wrist.

Yoos was taken to Franklin Square Hospital Center, where he was stable in fair condition yesterday, according to hospital officials.

Pub Date: 3/06/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.