Mervo nips Walbrook in OT on White's sure-shooting Buzzer-beating trey, 10 overtime points lift Mustangs in 4A North

March 05, 1998|By Kevin Eck | Kevin Eck,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

With Mervo trailing Walbrook by three points with four seconds remaining last night, Mustangs point guard Tobie Ashley inbounded the ball to Renata White at midcourt and then closed her eyes.

When she opened them, she saw her teammates rush onto the court as a wild celebration began. If her eyes had been open, Ashley would have witnessed White's buzzer-beating, game-tying three-pointer from 5 feet behind the arc. The shot hit off the backboard, bounced around the rim and fell in.

Mervo carried that momentum into overtime and escaped with a 68-65 victory over the Warriors in a Class 4A North region semifinal at Poly.

The Mustangs (15-4) will meet the No. 6-ranked Western, a 66-40 winner over Perry Hall last night, in the region final at a time to be determined at Poly.

"It felt very good when it left my hands," White said of the shot. "I thought I had it. When it bounced up, that's when I was surprised."

White went on to score six of Mervo's 10 points in overtime to finish with 21.

Ashley, a freshman, made five three-pointers and scored a team-high 27, including 13 in the fourth quarter.

Iesiah Brown scored 33 to pace Walbrook (8-11), which had upset No. 16 Dulaney, 61-45, in a quarterfinal game on Monday.

Walbrook, which lost to Mervo by 20 during the regular season, appeared to have secured another upset after Brown converted both ends of a one-and-one to give the Warriors a 57-52 lead 27 seconds from the end of regulation time.

At that point, Mervo coach Nancy Havranek told her players on the bench -- most of whom are underclassmen -- that there's always next year.

"I fully expected the game to be over," Havranek said.

Ashley, however, made a three-pointer with 18 seconds remaining to pull the Mustangs within two.

Walbrook then inbounded the ball to Brown, who ran 14 seconds off the clock before anyone could catch up to her to foul her. She made the second free throw to give Walbrook a 58-55 lead before White tied it up.

Mervo never trailed in overtime. White broke a 62-62 tie with a free throw before Keisha Robinson hit a jumper from just inside the arc to make it 65-62 with 33 seconds left.

From there, Mervo hit three of four foul shots to extend its lead to 68-62 with five seconds remaining.

Pub Date: 3/05/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.