Knighthawks rally to edge Thunder, 15-14 Rochester slips past Baltimore into 2nd place

March 01, 1998|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

Heading into last night's National Lacrosse League game, Baltimore felt like it had something to prove to Rochester.

The Thunder led the Knight- hawks only by a half-game, and Rochester had won the now-defunct Major Indoor Lacrosse League championship last year.

But it was Rochester that made its best argument, rallying from four goals down in the fourth quarter and edging Baltimore, 15-14, before 6,719 at the Baltimore Arena.

With the win, the Knighthawks improved to 6-2 and moved into second place in the NLL. The Thunder slipped to third with a 5-2 record.

Rochester used its poise and experience down the stretch. Down 13-10 1: 25 into the final quarter, the Knighthawks bombarded Baltimore goalkeeper Derek Collins and scored five unanswered goals to take a 15-13 lead.

Cory Bomberry scored two of the four tallies, one on a five-on-three Rochester power play, thanks to a five-minute boarding major assessed to Kip Fulks and a two-minute delay of game minor to Bob Martino.

Tim Hormes made it a one-goal game for the Thunder with his third of the game with 2: 19 left in the game.

Capitalizing on momentum and a fervent crowd, Baltimore mounted a furious rally by launching four shots, but Rochester goalkeeper Derek General turned everything away and sealed the win.

Baltimore had seemingly put the game away less than two minutes into the third quarter. Staked to an 8-7 lead, Gary Gait bounced a shot through the legs of Knighthawks goalkeeper Derek General 66 seconds into the second half.

Dan Radebaugh scored his second goal of the game 31 seconds later and gave the Thunder a 10-7 lead.

Rochester's Tim Soudan and Baltimore's Paul Cantabene exchanged goals 18 seconds apart to make it an 11-8 game 5: 20 into the third quarter.

Even when Cam Bomberry scored two consecutive goals with 7: 23 left in the third quarter, Gait scored his sixth of the night and 38th of the season to end the period at 12-10.

Martino scored 85 seconds into the fourth quarter, before the Knighthawks proved why they were last year's champs.

Rochester started the game strong, taking only 14 seconds to make their presence felt. General picked up a loose ball and fed a streaking Matt Riter who faked Collins and fired the ball over his left shoulder for a quick 1-0 lead.

Hormes knotted the score 21 seconds later with a nice centering pass from Martino, but Bomberry put the Knighthawks up 2-1 when his shot bounced off the backboards, hit Collins in the RTC back and trickled into the net 2: 11 into the first period.

Hormes tied the score again 78 seconds later, and 27 seconds after that, Jeff Klodzen appeared to get Baltimore its first lead of the game. But the goal was called off because a blow-to-the-head penalty was assessed to Tony Millon.

During the five-minute major, Cam Bomberry scored to give Rochester a 3-2 lead.

Pub Date: 3/01/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.