McDonogh underclass overcomes Severn Senior-less Eagles follow Lunn's lead to 68-65 win

MIAA B championship

March 01, 1998|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

McDonogh's day came early for its band of sophomores, while it never came for a determined group of Severn seniors.

No. 20 McDonogh (22-2), without a senior on its roster, outlasted Severn, 68-65, to win the MIAA B Conference title last night at Villa Julie College.

Severn (11-12) swallowed a bitter pill in losing its third consecutive B Conference final.

Sophomore David Lunn led McDonogh with 19 points, nine rebounds and three blocks, and junior Owen Daly was the scoring leader with 22 points and sophomore T.C. Cosby chipped in a dozen.

"That's who I really feel for, the seniors," said Severn coach Jim Doyle, who returned to coaching this season after taking five years off. "They really wanted it, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be."

Doyle led the Admirals to their only B Conference title in 1992-93 (25-2) and then retired.

"[Severn] played like a team with four seniors who didn't want to lose and as much as I respect them, I'm thrilled with my team," said McDonogh's rookie coach Matt MacMullan, a graduate of Notre Dame. "We've been through so much together in summer ball and open gym. It hasn't been a three-month season for us, but more like nine months. It's been a real pleasure. This is a special group."

It's a group that sacrificed a lot, something no senior wanted to do which is why none came out for the team. MacMullan's rookies grew into quite a team and won their last 11 games.

Lunn, who scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half, hit four consecutive foul shots in the final 12 seconds to enable McDonogh to hold on after taking a 64-57 lead with a minute left.

Severn senior Dennard Melton, who had a game-high 26 and finished as Anne Arundel County's career scoring leader with 1,907 points, hit a leaning jumper and a pair of free throws to cut the deficit to 64-61 with 28 seconds left.

After Tom Cleaver fouled T.C. Cosby with 24 seconds to go, Cosby missed both attempts.

Melton, in an effort to get the rebound on the second miss, fouled out, putting Lunn on the line.

Lunn promptly made both shots for a 66-61 lead, but Severn hurried down the floor and Greg Cooper (16 points) swished his fourth three-pointer of the game and third of the final period to make it 66-64.

On the ensuing McDonogh possession, Cooper was called for his fifth foul with 12 seconds left.

Melton embraced Cooper as he got to the Severn bench while Lunn tossed in two more free throws to cap the McDonogh scoring.

The Admirals' Matt Wright went to the line with five seconds left and sank the first one to make it 68-65. Wright then fired the next one at the basket and intentionally hit the rim hoping for a carom to the perimeter and a shot at a game-tying three.

However, the ball was whistled over to McDonogh because Wright stepped over the line shooting it.

"I'm the last person to complain about a call and am not going to take anything away from McDonogh," said Doyle.

Pub Date: 3/01/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.