No. 2 Syracuse comes from behind to clip No. 4 Virginia in OT Darcangelo's fourth goal gives Orangemen 18-17 win


March 01, 1998|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

Devin Darcangelo scored his fourth goal of the game 1: 35 into overtime to give second-ranked Syracuse a come-from-behind, 18-17 win yesterday over No. 4 Virginia before 1,845 in Charlottesville, Va. The Orangemen (1-0) have won seven of their past eight season openers.

Virginia (0-1) missed on two shots in overtime before Darcangelo scored the game-winner off an assist from Ryan Powell. The Cavaliers went ahead 17-16 on a goal by David Wren with 42 seconds left in regulation, but the Orangemen forced overtime by scoring off the ensuing faceoff, as Matt Cutia converted off an assist from Casey Powell.

Casey Powell, last year's Division I Player of the Year, finished with five goals and four assists.

A goal by Drew Melchionni gave Virginia its largest lead at 15-11 with 12: 34 remaining. However, Powell reeled off three of Syracuse's next four goals to cut the Cavaliers' lead to 16-15 inside the final three minutes.

Melchionni had four goals for Virginia and Tucker Radebaugh (St. Paul's) had three goals and a team-high four assists.

In a game that had eight ties, the two teams combined for 99 shots and 19 penalties.

No. 8 Georgetown 11, No. 9 Brown 9: Scott Urick and Greg McCavera each scored three goals and had an assist in leading the Hoyas to a season-opening win at Hofstra. The Hoyas have won three straight season openers.

Brown, which opened last year by losing three of its first four games, was led by Rob Lyle's four goals.

Two goals by Tim Berger helped Brown to an early 3-0 lead, but Georgetown battled back to tie on an unassisted goal by McCavera less then a minute into the second period. After the Bears went back in front by two goals, the Hoyas took control with five straight goals, two by Urick, and led 8-5 early in the third.

No. 10 Massachusetts 18, Holy Cross 3: Sophomore attackman Mike Janowicz scored five goals and an assist in his first career start as the Minutemen overwhelmed the host Crusaders in the season opener for both schools.

Jay Negus and Mike McKeefrey each added three goals for Massachusetts.

The Minutemen scored 23 seconds into the game, and extended their lead to 7-0 with 23: 33 remaining in the second quarter after two goals in a 15-second span by McKeefrey. Massachusetts added five goals in the second quarter, including two by Janowicz, to take a 12-1 lead at the half.

Massachusetts used a four-goal third quarter to gain its largest lead at 16-1. Minutemen goalkeeper John Kasselakis only needed to make two saves in 37 minutes.

Daniel Lee had two of the Crusaders' three goals.

Delaware 16, Fairfield 7: Delaware (1-0), coming off a 3-12 season, scored four goals in each quarter and led from start to finish to post the victory. The Stags (0-1), which trailed just 8-5 at halftime, could manage just two second-half goals. The Blue Hens outshot Fairfield 56-36 and held a 46-32 advantage in ground balls.

Pub Date: 3/01/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.