Margaret Chew Green, 78, National Guard employeeMargaret...

January 31, 1998

Margaret Chew Green, 78, National Guard employee

Margaret Chew Green, who was an administrative aide to the adjutant general of the Maryland National Guard for 25 years, died Jan. 20 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center of emphysema. She was 78.

A lifelong resident of Towson, she began her career with the Guard in 1947, when she became administrative assistant to Brig. Gen. Harry C. Ruhl. Based at the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore, Miss Green also served Gen. George Gelston and Gen. Edwin Warfield in the same capacity before she retired in 1982.

Born and raised on Cedar Avenue, she was a 1936 graduate of Towson High School and was a graduate of Strayer's Business College. She began working at Social Security Administration headquarters in the late 1930s, then in the Candler Building in downtown Baltimore.

During World War II, she volunteered with the Red Cross. One of her jobs was to chauffeur such celebrities as opera singer Rosa Ponselle and band leader Gene Krupa to hospitals and camps.

She was a communicant of Trinity Episcopal Church in Towson, where she volunteered in the secondhand shop and was a member of the Women's Guild.

A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. today at the church, 120 Allegheny Ave.

She is survived by a sister, Carolyn G. Swenson of Timonium; two nieces, Margaret S. Lobato of Tampa, Fla., and Ann S. Eder of Lutherville; and several great-nephews and great-nieces.

Leslie J. Anderson, 50, registered nurse

Leslie Jean Anderson, a retired registered nurse who was an avid scuba diver, died Jan. 23 of vasculitis at Good Samaritan Hospital. She was 50 and a Bel Air resident.

Mrs. Anderson worked in post-anesthesia care at Franklin Square Hospital from 1981 until 1989, when she retired for health reasons.

She began her career in 1968 at St. Joseph Hospital after earning her nursing degree from the Bon Secours Hospital School of Nursing. She subsequently was a nurse at Harford Memorial and Fallston General hospitals.

Mrs. Anderson enjoyed traveling overseas and diving near shipwrecks. She was an active member of Tricount Diving and Rescue Club.

She also was a volunteer with Pets on Wheels of Harford County and at Good Samaritan Hospital. She was a member of the Disabilities Commission of Harford County.

The former Leslie Jean Nichols was born and raised in Edmondson Village and was a 1965 graduate of Edmondson High School.

In 1982, she married Dr. David K. Anderson.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today in the chapel at Good Samaritan Hospital, 5601 Loch Raven Blvd.

Besides her husband, she is survived by her parents, Stephen O. and Mary Marguerite Nichols of Carney; a sister, Joan Manili of Timonium; a nephew; and a niece.

William B. Cornell Jr., 84, stockbroker, attorney

William B. Cornell Jr., a retired Baltimore stockbroker and former attorney, died Sunday of cancer at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. He was 84.

The longtime Roland Park resident had spent 30 years as a broker when he retired in 1976 from Millbrook Securities, where he had worked for eight years.

He had also worked for Merrill-Lynch and E. F. Hutton.

Mr. Cornell was born in Baltimore and moved to Albany, N.Y., as a child. He earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan and his law degree from the University of Baltimore in 1938.

Admitted to the Maryland Bar, he began practicing law in Towson. When World War II broke out, he enlisted in the Army and served in the Intelligence Corps during the North African campaign. He was discharged in 1946 with the rank of lieutenant.

He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War in 1951 and served in the Intelligence Corps in Korea before he was discharged a second time in 1952.

He was a member of the Swiss Club, the Baltimore Country Club and the Boumi Temple.

He was an active member of Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church at Woodbrook, 6200 N. Charles St., where a memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. today. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Daniele Hablutzel; a son, William B. Cornell III of Mount Washington; a daughter, Linda C. Hinze of White Hall, Baltimore County; and a brother, F. Duncan Cornell of Baltimore.

Anna M. Woke, 89, registered nurse

Anna M. Woke, a former registered nurse who worked at the Naval Medical Research Institute, died Jan. 23 of Parkinson's disease at Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda. She was 89.

Mrs. Woke was assistant security administrator of the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda from 1952 until her retirement in 1978.

The former Anna Margarethe Meyer was born and raised in Sottrum, Germany, and immigrated to New York City in 1923. She later moved to Oneonta, N.Y., where she graduated from high school. She earned her bachelor's degree in nursing from the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in 1932.

She began her nursing career working with Dr. William Holland Wilmer, founder of the Wilmer Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

During the 1940s and early 1950s, she was on the nursing staff of Episcopal Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital in Washington, and later at the Central of Georgia Railroad Hospital in Savannah, Ga.

A resident of Bethesda since 1954, Mrs. Woke enjoyed gardening and needlework.

A memorial gathering for Mrs. Woke will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. tomorrow in her home, 7213 Beacon Terrace in Bethesda.

She is survived by her husband of 64 years, Dr. Paul A. Woke; a daughter, Jerrie Thistel of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Parkinson's Disease Association, c/o Johns Hopkins Hospital, 601 N. Caroline St., Suite 5064, Baltimore 21287.

Pub Date: 1/31/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.