Hammond not too banged up to win Gelinus scores 29 points and Bears outrun Glenelg in stretch for 66-58 win

January 29, 1998|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Despite mounting injuries, Howard County League-leading Hammond continues to win.

The No. 19-ranked Golden Bears, led by a 29-point effort from center Pat Gelinus, rallied in the second half to turn away an upset bid by Glenelg yesterday, 66-58.

Hammond, which trailed by two points after three quarters, led 58-56 with 1: 21 left to play. The Bears then outscored Glenelg 8-2 down the stretch.

The Bears (11-3 overall, 9-1 league) won despite losing starting point guard Jamar Wise to a sprained ankle with 1: 28 left in the third quarter.

Pat Lally, the team's starting point guard for most of the season, is nursing a sore back and did not start for the second straight game. Still, he played the entire fourth quarter and sparked the Bears, who forced Glenelg into eight fourth-quarter turnovers and 22 overall.

"We got into their passing lanes and got a few early steals in the fourth quarter," Bears coach Mark Murray said. "And that turned it around."

Another key for Hammond was a second-half defensive move by Murray to guard Glenelg's best shooter with Antwaun Oliver. Jeff Starcher scored 14 points in the first half for Glenelg, but Oliver held him to three points in the second half. Oliver contributed five points, four steals, three assists and three rebounds.

"Jason Boyd also got comfortable for us in the second half," Murray said. Boyd scored 12 points, had seven rebounds and three steals.

Glenelg (4-10, 2-8) sank eight of 19 shots from three-point range, including three by Starcher and four by Chris Gregory. But the Bears limited Glenelg to five offensive boards and out-rebounded the Gladiators, 27-21.

"We've been getting beat on the glass all year," Glenelg coach Jeremy Snyder said. "And we've been losing games in the fourth quarter because of inexperience."

Glenelg earlier this season had taken Atholton and Long Reach, two teams tied for second place, into overtime before losing. And in an earlier game against Hammond, Glenelg trailed by only a point heading into the fourth quarter and lost.

Glenelg sank four three-point baskets in the first quarter and pulled ahead, 19-13. The Gladiators' biggest lead was 29-19.

Glenelg's front-court players struggled throughout.

"Coach told us to front them so they wouldn't get the ball," said Gelinus, who had eight rebounds to go with his career-high 29 points. "They were just setting picks for the guards and not moving to the lane afterward."

Hammond also played yesterday without starter Eric Gertanson, who is nursing two sore ankles.

Pub Date: 1/29/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.