Heavyweight's pin gives South Carroll win Cavaliers go to 12-0

Crown is victorious after Wiles gets Key lead

January 22, 1998|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,SUN STAFF

In recent years, most of the dual-meet matches between South Carroll and Francis Scott Key have gone down to the heavyweight pairing, and last night's action between the respective No. 8 and No. 9-ranked teams in the metro area poll was no exception.

At South Carroll, Tom Crown (11-1) won it for the home team, 36-32, when he pinned Greg Frech at 3 minutes 25 seconds.

The outcome kept South Carroll undefeated at 12-0 and left Key at 7-3.

Crown, who has lost only to Hammond's Matt Nelson, ranked No. 3 in the state, trailed 2-0 early, then went ahead in the second period on a takedown before getting the pin.

Key senior Jason Wiles, like Crown an All-County football player, set up the climactic match by pinning Scott Warner at 3: 30 to give the visitors a 32-30 lead.

"The pressure of going into a final match like that doesn't bother me," Crown declared. "It makes it more exciting. I know, I was in a situation like that as a sophomore, and I lost. Now, I have the experience. I can do it. And I knew this one would come down to me."

South Carroll coach Pete Olson, who had used some mid-match strategy when his team trailed 26-8, said of Crown, "I was confident he'd win but with heavyweights, you never know.

"We have been talking 'sequence,' and Tom did a great job. He took his time, didn't try to get the pin right away, but went through the steps -- control, hold him for the five-count to get the three back points, then squeeze for the pin."

The pre-match lineup showed Key with no one at 145 and South Carroll with junior veteran Mike Muller. When South Carroll won the coin flip to determine who sent out a man first, Key had to go first and had no entry.

At that point, Olson sent out Tim Curtis, a reserve, to get the points, and then had Muller subbing for the injured Brad Mann at 152. If Key had sent someone out at 145, Olson was prepared to counter with Muller, and then use Mann at 152.

Muller promptly put down Jeff Sutton in 0: 41 to cut the Cavaliers' deficit to 26-20. When Jason Hamper overwhelmed Erik Wilhide, 17-5, and sophomore Billy Perna pinned senior Justin Barber in 1: 29, the home team had been boosted to a 30-26 lead.

Wiles followed with his pin to set the stage for Crown's heroics.

It was the second such setback for Frech. Last month, against Westminster, with the Owls ahead 30-27 going to the last bout, Frech had forced that one overtime with a third-period point against Clint Walker, then lost on a takedown.

South Carroll freshman Dan Patterson (103) sent his team off in front when he whipped Brian Owings, 13-1, but after swapping wins, the visitors put together a pin and three technical falls to build a 26-8 lead through 140. Senior Matt Yinger pinned Jarad Praniewicz in 55 seconds.

"I was concerned when we didn't get those pins," Olson said. "We have to be hungry, to go for the pin. However, those guys have been winning for me all year."

From the other side, "You create opportunities, and I thought we gave ourselves some opportunities," said Key coach Bill Hyson. "We've had to overcome some situations, but we need to worry about the things we can control.

"I thought there were great jobs by some in keeping off their backs. Owings hung tough at 103, and Wilhide did a nice job at 160."

Both teams were missing injured regulars. At 125, for example, each side sent out a JV entry -- Joe Putman for Key and Brian Huggins for South Carroll. Putman, who had two wins in the Eagles' double-dual triumphs over Smithsburg and Boonsboro last Saturday, came back with a 15-2 decision.

Pub Date: 1/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.