Lyles and Brown power Poets to 69-60 win over Lake Clifton No. 1 Dunbar survives 30-point game by Smith

Boys basketball

January 22, 1998|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

A standing-room-only crowd packed the Dunbar gymnasium known as "the East Side Garden," yesterday as the top-ranked Poets played host to No. 8 Lake Clifton.

The game, a 69-60 victory for the Poets, was worth every penny.

Dunbar's Tim Lyles scored 12 of his 27 points from three-point range, dished off eight assists and had three steals to lead the Poets (12-2). His 6-foot-6 teammate, Jamal Brown, scored 10 of his 17 points on slam dunks -- three of those being off alley-oop passes from Lyles -- to go with 12 rebounds.

Donteaz Dean (nine points, six rebounds) and Arnold Bowie (eight points) also contributed against a Lakers squad that was minus one of its best players.

But if Lake Clifton (6-5) missed Rodney Bass, serving a one-game suspension for an ejection from Friday's game against Walbrook, 6-5 Kevin Smith nearly made up the difference all by himself.

Before fouling out with his team down, 60-50, and only 3: 56 left to play, Smith scored scored 12 of his 30 points on three pointers and threw in a left-handed dunk. But while setting up to take a charge against Lyles, who was driving the lane, Smith was called for blocking for his fifth foul.

"They put Kevin on me, so I'd try to penetrate, draw the foul," Lyles said. "It worked out."

Smith, a junior swingman, had sparked the Lakers to a 10-point lead in the first period, after which they led, 19-12. He accounted for all of Lake Clifton's 22 points over the second and third periods, though the Poets led 29-26 at the half and 55-41 entering the fourth period.

The Poets still couldn't bury the Lakers with Smith on the bench, as Andre Mouzone scored 11 of his 13 points in the final period, including a three-pointer that had Lake Clifton within 66-60 with 42 seconds to play.

"Kevin was killing us in the first half, and it was good for us when he fouled out," Brown said.

Said Dunbar coach Lynn Badham: "Lake Clifton could have been 0-and-whatever, but they came in and played hard because it's Dunbar."

Lyles single-handedly out-scored the Lakers, 9-2, to start the third period, including two three-pointers and the Poets took a 38-28 lead with 6: 17 left in the quarter.

Then Smith, trying to keep his Lakers' afloat, nailed three consecutive three-pointers, the last bringing Lake Clifton to 48-41 with 2: 23 left in period.

But shortly after picking up his fourth foul with seven seconds left in the period, Smith had to watch as Dunbar out-scored his club 7-0 -- punctuated by Brown's fourth dunk -- to take a 12-point lead into the final period.

"As a team, we might not have had our heads together, worrying about not having Rodney," Smith said. "I put my heart on the line, did what I had to do, but we missed Rodney a lot."

"We were too pumped up in the first half and had to settle down, run our offense," Lyles said. "That [halftime] lead helped us do that."

Dulaney 40, No. 3 Randallstown 39: Colin Stevens made one of two free throws with no time on the clock to lift Dulaney (5-8) to an upset win over host Randallstown (10-3). Stevens was awarded the free throws after he was fouled as time expired.

Pub Date: 1/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.