Towson takes division lead, nips Woodlawn with : 03 left Reynolds' foul shot ices first loss for Warriors

Girls basketball

January 22, 1998|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Towson still has eight regular-season games to win before claiming the division title, but the No. 11-ranked Generals likely put a lock on it with last night's 53-51 victory over No. 15 Woodlawn.

"This means No. 1 [in the division]," said Towson's Sara Lev. "People are looking at Woodlawn, Milford and us for the counties, and right here, we established that we're ready for it."

The Generals (11-1), who beat No. 12 Milford Mill 68-58 two weeks ago, improved to 7-0 in Baltimore County's Hoopsters division. The Warriors dropped to 6-1 and into a second-place tie with Milford and Dulaney.

Last night, Lev had 17 points, Lindsay Buchanan 16 and Jaimee Reynolds 15, along with 19 rebounds, in a game that wasn't decided until Reynolds hit a free throw with three seconds left.

The Warriors (10-4) hung in with 19 points and 17 rebounds from Carissa Ingram-Hall and 17 points from Stacie Allen.

Early on, the host Generals seemed tentative, missing easy shots and hitting just three of nine first-half free throws.

"They were nervous," said Towson coach Bev Snyder, whose team scored two fewer field goals than the Warriors but hit eight more free throws. "They knew it was a big game, and they put a lot of pressure on themselves."

The Warriors had as much as a seven-point lead in the first half but led only briefly early in the second. Allen's 18-footer gave the Warriors a two-point edge 1: 13 into the second half, but the Generals ran off six straight points to take a 35-29 lead.

The margin never grew larger than six, and the Warriors cut it to one with just under three minutes to go in the game. Stephanie Johnson hit a 15-footer and Anitra Smith grabbed the ball off the Generals' inbound pass and hit the layup to pull within 48-47.

But the Generals were a bit smarter with their shots down the stretch and hit just enough free throws to stay on top.

After Allen launched a 23-footer with 49 seconds to go and the Generals leading 51-48, Warriors coach Dave Schreiner called a timeout to settle his team.

"We got a little over-anxious," said Ingram-Hall. "We didn't penetrate when we should have, and we missed too many layups."

After Lev hit a free throw, Smith banked in a 20-footer from the top to pull the Warriors within 52-51 with six seconds left. But they had to foul and Reynolds sealed it from the line.

The Warriors could get another shot at the Generals in the county title game, to be settled between the top two teams in the division. However, the Warriors first would have to get past defending champ Milford Mill on Feb. 4.

Pub Date: 1/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.