Milford Mill shoots down Comets, 55-53 Layup by Lewis clinches Millers' win with : 02 to go

Boys basketball

January 22, 1998|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The one thing Milford Mill always does for coach Ed Smith is keep him guessing.

Smith said his team had been complaining over the last couple of weeks about its ranking. After moving up to the area's No. 17 spot, the Millers put themselves in an early 14-point hole against Catonsville yesterday.

Senior guard Arthur Lewis finally got Milford Mill out of that hole, scoring on a layup with 2.5 seconds remaining to lift the visitors to a 55-53 victory over the Comets in a battle of unbeatens in the Baltimore County Hoopsters Division.

Lewis led Milford Mill (11-1, 7-0) with 15 points, David Boyd had 13, and Anton Word and Ray Akinola each contributed 12. Damone Upchurch led all scorers with 22 points for Catonsville (7-5, 6-1).

In the final 2.5 seconds, Catonsville had an opportunity to win or tie but did neither as Brenndan Mohler's three-pointer from near midcourt hit right of the rim as time expired.

"It was a rough game for us," said Smith, whose team's only loss was to No. 10 Woodlawn at the Wes Unseld Tournament last month. "We haven't spotted a team that many points, but we chipped away and changed up our presses."

"We had too many turnovers late in the game," said Catonsville coach Jim Rhoads, whose team had 13 miscues in the second half. "We were able to handle their full-court press, but we couldn't handle their half-court pressure with many unforced turnovers."

Smith wasn't pleased with his team's practice two days ago, so he canceled it with about 30 minutes left and gave the Millers a tongue-lashing. He said he worries that his team doesn't play with enough intensity and emotion.

Smith himself showed some emotion, picking up a technical foul with 3: 05 remaining that resulted in two free throws by Upchurch which gave Catonsville a 53-51 lead. The Millers tied the game back at 53 after David Boyd knocked in a missed free throw by Akinola.

Milford Mill then forced Catonsville into a turnover with over a minute left. The Millers worked the clock down to about 10 seconds, then Lewis got past his defender on the dribble and drove down the lane for the game-winning shot.

Pub Date: 1/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.