Police lieutenant sought in beating of girlfriend She reported being choked, punched during argument

January 17, 1998|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

Baltimore police were searching last night for a lieutenant who was charged for the second time with beating his girlfriend and who has threatened to kill anyone who tries to capture him, authorities said yesterday.

Police filed an arrest warrant for Lt. Charles Milland, a member of the force for 27 years whose department weapon was taken away after his first arrest in October but who apparently fled his apartment early yesterday with a revolver.

Police radio warned officers last night that Milland is to be considered armed and dangerous and has threatened "to kill anyone who attempts to apprehend him."

His girlfriend, Kathy Layne, 36, told police that Milland "stated to her several times in the past that if she were ever to leave him, he would shoot her," according to the police report filed yesterday.

Robert W. Weinhold, a police spokesman, said, "It's the department's sincere hope that Lieutenant Milland acts very rationally and comes forward to resolve this issue in a very judicious manner."

Milland, 52, was charged with one count of assault after Layne called police about 2 a.m. yesterday and said she was choked and punched in the face several times during an argument in the couple's Mount Washington apartment.

The officer's lawyer, Edward A. Eshmont, said he did not know where his client had gone and had not heard from him since the alleged incident. He would not comment on the new charges.

After Milland's first arrest in October on assault charges, Eshmont criticized the Police Department. He said Milland had scuffled with Layne to keep her from leaving the apartment to satisfy her heroin addiction.

At the time, the lawyer provided The Sun with a letter Layne wrote to prosecutors asking that the charges against Milland be dropped.

Prosecutors did not heed the request.

Layne could not be reached for comment in the latest case. Police said she called 911 about 2 a.m. and reported an assault.

She told Officer Joseph E. Mueller Sr., the officer who responded in October, that she and Milland had argued in the car on the way back from a bar and continued to fight once they got home.

"Ms. Layne claims she was in the living room when Lieutenant Milland pulled her hair, causing her to fall to the ground," Weinhold said. "She then claims that he got on top of her and began to strike her on the head."

Weinhold said Layne reported being assaulted a second time when she was grabbed around the neck and punched in the face. The spokesman said Mueller noticed abrasions on her neck and that other people in the home at the time corroborated her allegation.

Layne refused medical treatment, Weinhold said.

Milland, who has been on medical leave for three months, is awaiting trial on the October assault charges.

Any departmental discipline would come after the criminal proceedings.

Weinhold said Milland was last seen driving a burgundy 1992 Toyota Camry with Maryland license tags FP3062.

Pub Date: 1/17/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.