1 killed, 2 hurt in Baltimore rowhouse fire

January 12, 1998|By Dan Thanh Dang | Dan Thanh Dang,SUN STAFF

A 58-year-old man was killed and two people were hospitalized when a fire caused by careless smoking damaged a Southwest Baltimore rowhouse yesterday, a fire official said.

Battalion Chief Hector L. Torres said firefighters responded to the one-alarm fire in the 400 block of Furrow St. about 2: 23 a.m. and rescued a 43-year-old woman from a second-floor room and a 53-year-old man near a stairway.

Torres said a man in the basement, who alerted other residents, was taken out of the house but died later at Bon Secours Hospital.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital identified him as George Harley.

Torres said an autopsy is planned.

The other victims were in good condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where they were being treated for smoke inhalation.

An adult and three children escaped without injury, Torres said.

"One adult and three children escaped from a rear second-floor window onto a porch roof and to safety," Torres said. "The fire was relatively small but it caused about $4,000 worth of damage and there was a lot of smoke. That was the biggest problem."

The identities of the others were withheld pending notification of relatives, Torres said.

Torres said a second-floor smoke detector was working when the fire occurred, but it is not clear whether one in the basement was working.

The Red Cross and the city were relocating the occupants, he said.

Pub Date: 1/12/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.