Paramedic delivers 'bus stop baby' Birth: Karen Tuck, 21, was waiting for a bus to take her to the hospital. But her baby didn't wait.

January 09, 1998|By Dail Willis | Dail Willis,SUN STAFF

Her real name is Rashima Nadine Alexis Tuck, but her mother already is calling her "bus stop baby" because that's where she was born yesterday morning -- in a bus stop at Old Eastern Avenue and Rickenbacker Road.

Karen Tuck, 21, of the 1600 block of Rickenbacker Road was in labor and trying to catch a cab to the hospital just before 9 a.m. But she couldn't get one. The labor pains were getting worse and she was frantic -- so she decided to take the bus.

The bus didn't come, but Maryland State Police Tfc. Mark Yingling saw her and the baby's father, Keith Trusty, and approached the couple.

"He asked me what was wrong," Tuck said yesterday afternoon from her bed at Franklin Square Hospital Center. "I told him it felt like I was getting ready to have the baby."

Yingling got a blanket from his cruiser and put it on the road at the bus stop. Tuck lay on it.

"The trooper man, he was, like, 'Don't push, don't push,' " Tuck said. "I said, 'OK,' but I started pushing."

An ambulance from the Essex station of the Baltimore County Fire Department pulled up minutes later -- in time to deliver the baby.

"As soon as I got there -- she was pushing, and here came the baby," said paramedic Tasha Kearney of the Baltimore County Fire Department.

It's the first baby she's delivered in six years as a paramedic, she said -- and it took no time at all. "It was seconds, literally seconds. As soon as I knelt down, the baby's head was coming out."

The baby is healthy, and weighs 5 pounds, 3 ounces, hospital staff said yesterday.

It was a birth with no complications, except for a minor traffic jam -- Rashima's arrival caused a stir in morning rush-hour traffic along Old Eastern Avenue, Tuck said.

"People were stopping and staring when they drove by," she said.

It was a second child for Tuck, who has a son, Danzel, 5, and a first baby for Trusty, 28, who said the bus-stop birth was a harrowing experience.

"I was just trying to help her," Trusty said yesterday as he sat beside Tuck's bed. "She was trying to break my hand. Then it just came out.

"I'm just glad it's over -- no more pain," he added with a glance at Tuck.

Tuck said she didn't plan to have any more children. "I've got my boy and my girl, and that's enough," she said with a smile.

Pub Date: 1/09/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.