'Refuse-to-lose' Douglass upsets Annapolis, 47-45 No. 4 Panthers blow lead, commit 30 2nd-half errors

Capital City Classic

December 31, 1997|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Annapolis started strongly last night against Douglass of Prince George's County in the Capital City Classic championship game. The host Panthers hit seven of their first 11 shots and took a 17-4 first-quarter lead.

The problem, however, was how Annapolis finished.

Rochelle Luckett scored 11 of her game-high 21 points in a wild fourth quarter in which Douglass registered the game's final seven points and scored a come-from-behind 47-45 victory over No. 4-ranked Annapolis.

Douglass rebounded from a shaky first half that saw it trail by at least 10 points most of the time. Kammi Cottrell (18 points, 15 rebounds) dominated play for Annapolis (5-1), which also got a good effort from Jackie Edwards (11 points).

However, the Eagles used their quickness and pressure defense to rally in the second half. They forced a total of 30 turnovers -- 18 in the second half -- and completely disrupted an Annapolis offense that controlled things in the first half.

"The kids refused to lose," said Douglass coach Ed Cowan. "They just wouldn't quit."

Luckett sparked the Douglass (7-1) comeback from a weak first half. The quick guard scored nine point in a row for the Eagles early in the fourth quarter to help pull them to 43-40. Heather Young then made a jumper for Annapolis with 4: 48 left -- but those were the Panthers' last points.

Luckett made another layup and Sheila Johnson hit a layup after a steal to make it 45-44 with 1: 31 left. Pria Stellmacher added jTC another layup 15 seconds later, following one more Douglass steal, for a 46-45 lead.

Young then had a chance to put Annapolis in front. She broke behind the pressing Douglass defense and was wide open in the lane, but fumbled Cottrell's pass out of bounds with 17 seconds left. Mindy Luckett of Doulgass hit a free throw with 11 seconds left to make it 47-45.

Emily Dammeyer had one final chance to tie it or give Annapolis the victory, but she missed a long jumper at the buzzer.

"We got caught up in their flow of the game in the second half," said Annapolis coach David Griffith. "We can't do that. We have to play our game."

Annapolis controlled the first half with its quick start and patient play at both ends of the floor. The Panthers used a 17-4 start to grab a 27-17 halftime lead.

Douglass showed little patience on offense, often shooting moments after clearing the half-court line. The Eagles hit an abysmal 7-for-37 from the field in the first half -- including 18 of 21 misses in the opening quarter.

They also struggled at the free-throw line, missing six of seven in the half.

Pub Date: 12/31/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.