Woodlawn turns back Old Mill's upset bid Randallstown rolls, 70-51

M. Mill, Broadneck also win

Wes Unseld Tournament

December 27, 1997|By Lem Satterfield and Derek Toney

No. 11 Woodlawn survived a valiant effort by Old Mill for a 58-57 victory in the final first-round game of the Wes Unseld Tournament at Catonsville Community College last night.

The Warriors (5-1), the defending tourney champions, advance to tonight's semifinal round where they will meet Baltimore County rival Milford Mill at 6: 15. A third Baltimore County team, No. 2 Randallstown, will play five-time Unseld champ Broadneck in the other semifinal.

Woodlawn was clinging to a 58-57 advantage with 11 seconds remaining when it turned the ball over on an inbounds pass near midcourt. A three-point attempt by Tim Smith for the victory missed, and a follow shot under the basket by Keith Rogers came after time had expired.

"Our best shooter took the shot," said Old Mill coach Paul Bunting. "I really think they might have fouled him, but that's a tough call for an official to make. The basket at the end didn't count and that was the right call."

Gabriel Brooks led Woodlawn with 15 points and Damon Garris added 14. Craig Hall led Old Mill with 16 points. Jeff Carter had 11 points, and Toby Green scored 10.

Woodlawn appeared to have things in hand with a 57-51 lead with 1: 26 remaining. Rogers scored off a rebound and was fouled with 55.8 seconds remaining to pull Old Mill to within 57-53, but he missed the foul shot.

After two missed free throws by Woodlawn's Alughemiga Adekunle, a layup by Hall brought the Patriots to within 57-55 with 44 seconds remaining. A free throw by Brooks made it 58-55 with 38 seconds left.

Both teams missed scoring opportunities on consecutive possessions. Hall grabbed a miss by Smith and put it back in as Old Mill, which trailed by as many as 10 points in the final quarter, was within one.

"Our mental concentration broke down," said Woodlawn coach Bobby Richardson. "We got a little complacent when we got a 10-point lead, and stopped running our offense. We started showboating and throwing the ball away. It wasn't Woodlawn basketball."

Leading 43-41 after three quarters, Woodlawn opened the final period with a 10-2 run to build a 53-43 lead with 4: 56 remaining in the game. The Patriots took advantage of five Woodlawn turnovers to get back to 53-49 with 2: 03 left.

"They tried and hung tough," said Bunting. "We did a lot of nice things and made some big plays at the end. If we make half of our layups, who wins the game?"

Old Mill controlled the boards in the opening quarter, but couldn't take advantage offensively, missing on 11-of-15 attempts. Despite that, Old Mill held a 12-11 lead after the first period.

"We just played well enough to win," said Garris, last year's Unseld Most Valuable Player, who overcame early foul problems. "We should have played better defense and had better execution on offense."

Randallstown 70, Hammond 51: All-Metro Demon Brown scored 14 of his 22 points in the first half, including two three-pointers, and Antonio Darden had 17 points to go with 11 rebounds for the Rams.

The No. 2 Rams (4-0) next face Broadneck, a 56-41 winner over Catonsville, today at 6: 15 in the second round of the three-day, double-elimination affair, while Hammond takes on Catonsville at in the loser's bracket.

Randallstown established the tempo early, using superior quickness to build a 10-0 lead on Hammond, which called a timeout with 4: 49 left in the first period. But the Bears, who trailed 16-9 after one period, got back into it with a 7-0 run during the second period for a 20-16 deficit that forced a Randallstown timeout.

Down 30-20 midway through the second period, Hammond's David Hines (16 points, nine rebounds) beat two defenders with a layup, then stole the ball and fed Jamar Wise (10 points) to bring the Bears within 30-24. But Brown's buzzer-beating three-pointer ended the half, giving Randallstown a 33-24 edge.

"We might have underestimated them early, but we got it together in the second half," said Brown, who nailed two three-pointers, had four steals and three assists. "We thought we were going to come out and just blow them out. We didn't play as a team. I'm happy with how we came together."

Milford Mill 53, Edmondson 43: Arthur Lewis scored a game-high 16 points and hit six of eight free throws while Antwon Word had 13 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocked shots as unranked Milford Mill (6-0), last year's 2A state runner-up, dispatched Edmondson (1-4).

The Millers play Woodlawn tonight at 8 p.m., while Edmondson )) faces Old Mill today at 4: 45 p.m.

"We came out and gained the momentum, but we slumped a little bit in the second quarter," said Word.

Edmondson outscored Milford Mill, 8-1, to open the second period and was within 19-18 with 3: 15 left in the half. But the Redskins missed their next three shots before the Millers' Richard Johnson assisted Diron Watkins' fast-break layup, and Ray Akinola (six points, seven boards) converted a put-back for a 23-18 halftime lead.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.