UB student is city's 300th slaying victim Man's body found in car near Oriole Park with gunshot wound in head

December 25, 1997|By Ivan Penn | Ivan Penn,SUN STAFF Sun staff writer Richard Irwin contributed to this article.

Baltimore's homicide count reached 300 for the eighth consecutive year yesterday when a 21-year-old accounting student at the University of Baltimore was found dead in his car with a gunshot wound in his head, police said.

Anthony Shelton Lee Jr., who was reported missing by his family Monday, was found dead about 9 a.m. yesterday in a Nissan Maxima at South Fremont Avenue and Portland Street in Ridgely's Delight, a neighborhood west of Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

Family members said Lee of the 4600 block of Belvieu Ave. in West Baltimore was to graduate in May.

Two other shootings yesterday left two Baltimore men injured.

An unidentified 21-year-old man was shot in the leg about 2 p.m. and police charged a 12-year-old boy as a juvenile in the incident.

And about 1: 30 a.m., Emille Turner, 16, of West Baltimore was shot in the ankle. Police said they knew of no suspects in that case.

Despite yesterday's incidents, police said shootings and homicides in the city have been on a steady decline. This year's total of 300 homicides is 24 below the number of slayings reported at the same time last year. In all of last year, 331 people were slain.

City police said they had hoped to finish this year with fewer than 300 slayings for the first time since 1989, when 262 people were killed. The city set a record in 1993 with 353 slayings.

"Obviously, 300 homicides is more than the Police Department or anybody would like to see," said Lt. John Tewey, head of the Police Department's Violent Crimes Task Force. "But the trend is that it seems to be coming down. Something positive is happening."

Police found Lee's body in his father's Nissan Maxima about 9 a.m. after residents reported seeing a man slumped over in a car. Police said he may have been in the car as long as four days. As of late yesterday, police had no suspects in the shooting.

Ridgely's Delight residents said Lee's death is raising concern about safety in their community.

"I got up this morning and I was like, 'What is going on?' " said Quang Nguyen, a 22-year-old law student at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, who moved into the community in the jTC summer. "I hear gunshots go off a lot. I try to stay off the street. I keep a gun now. It's just not safe."

In other city violence, police were investigating the death of a man who was shot about 8: 30 p.m. Tuesday in the 600 block of Denison St. in Southwest Baltimore. He died at Maryland Shock Trauma Center and was the city's 299th homicide this year. His identity has been withheld pending notification of family members.

And police were awaiting autopsy results in the suspicious death of Derrick Johnson, 17, of the 3000 block of Ridgewood Ave., whose body was found Tuesday afternoon in the 3600 block of Woodland Ave.

Police said the youth suffered an apparent bullet wound to the head, but that it was not immediately known whether his death was a homicide.

Pub Date: 12/25/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.