Walker falls into Westminster win Battle of heavyweights decides match with Key

December 19, 1997|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,SUN STAFF

Westminster against Francis Scott Key -- two longtime Carroll County rivals -- and the outcome came down to an overtime period for two wrestlers in their first varsity match.

Clint Walker, a Westminster senior who had to get down to under 275 pounds from 315, got the decision when he was credited with a takedown of Greg Frick after both slipped and fell and Walker scrambled to get on top as they went off the mat.

The three points gave Westminster (6-0) a 33-27 victory in what appeared to be much more one-sided into the middle weights.

At the same time, the outcome marred a superb comeback by the home team (2-1). Down 30-15 after the 160 match, Key got successive pins from seniors Eric Wilhide and Jason Wiles, each in his first varsity season.

That put it squarely on the large shoulders of the two heavyweights, with Walker having a 30-pound advantage on Frick, a sophomore.

In the second period, Walker got an escape and a takedown, but Frick came back in the third, and it ended 4-4 in regulation.

"My friends -- Tim Sharkey, Dave Spoicer, Jason Phelps -- we hang together, and they've been harping on me to come out. They said the team needed a heavyweight," Walker said.

"I've got bad knees, cut weight, and going to the overtime all I could think of was, 'Mom, Coach; Mom, Coach.' We both fell, and it took all I had to get to him. He falls the other way, and he's on top of me."

Frick agreed, adding, "I was just trying to get the points. It was one of those things."

The outcome overshadowed the season debut of Key senior county champions Matt Yinger and Steve Cahoon, both of whom had been sidelined with shoulder injuries.

Yinger, totally spent at the end, had enough skill to get an escape and a takedown in the third period for a 3-0 win over Tim Sharkey, who had won seven of his first eight matches.

Cahoon appeared the more rusty of the two, and Westminster's John Muse (8-2) made a second-period escape stand up for a 1-0 decision.

When Jared Brown pinned Chris Putman at 160, the Owls took a 30-16 lead. However, Wilhide reversed an earlier loss to Westervelt in the Annapolis tournament, putting him down at 2: 31.

For Westminster, Bobby Beiden got a decision at 119 to go to 9-1, and Kyle Burger matched him when he got a pin at 130. And, as coach Henry Mohlhenrich said, "I didn't expect to need those points [in the last three bouts], because I thought we'd be in good shape before the 171."

As it turned out, he needed Walker's points more than he could imagined.

Pub Date: 12/19/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.