Gilman's Faust scores late pin to beat Old Mill No. 8 Greyhounds edge ailing No. 7 Patriots, 31-30

December 17, 1997|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The same pressure Gilman coach Mark Harbold would have preferred not to put on his heavyweight provided sophomore Mike Faust with the lift he needed to get the job done last night.

With his team trailing seventh-ranked Old Mill by five points with one match remaining, Faust, a true 189-pounder, took the mat knowing he needed a pin to help his team avoid a loss to the injury-plagued Patriots.

After falling behind 3-2 to Old Mill's "true" heavyweight Dave Kim late in the second period, Faust reached down, dropped Kim to the ground and then pinned him with 18 seconds left to give the No. 8-ranked Greyhounds a stunning 31-30 victory.

Gilman and Old Mill both breezed past South River High, which hosted the tri-match.

"Coach Harbold told me I would wrestle heavyweight tonight if it was a close match and I expected it would be," said Faust. "I wrestled [Kim] in practice before and I wasn't expecting that tough of a match but he gave me all he had. Needing a pin was exciting position to be in, but I love pressure. It usually makes me wrestle better."

Back-to-back pins by sophomore Dave Hicks and senior Rich Sampson put Old Mill ahead 21-12 heading into the 145-pound match, which Gilman's Tim Webb won by a major decision.

An illegal holding call cost Gilman's Brian Lewis a point in his 152-pound bout and Eric DeCosmo used it to claim a 5-4 decision.

Mike Swann, who pinned Mike Desautels when the teams met earlier this month at the Annapolis tournament, was disqualified for illegally slamming his foe. Desautels injured his shoulder on the takedown and could not continue. As a result, Old Mill was awarded six points, upping the Patriots' margin to 30-16.

Pat Boyle's 11-4 victory over Jason Wharff, coupled with Damien Davis' forfeit win, pulled the Greyhounds within five.

"Old Mill is without two of their studs right now so I wanted to beat them worse than that but we'll certainly take it," said Harbold, glancing at the scoreboard which still showed 18 seconds on the clock. "Christmas came early."

"Right now we have four guys out and a lot of inexperience in the lineup, but how can I say that without taking something away from Gilman?" said Old Mill coach Mike Hampe, who is wearing a sling himself as he recovers from recent shoulder surgery. "I can't say for sure whether the injuries made a whole lot of difference but I think it could have in some places."

Pub Date: 12/17/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.