Randallstown, officials frustrate Southwestern Sabers coach Leverett pulls team with 2: 49 left, Rams leading, 65-60

Boys basketball

December 14, 1997|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Seventh-ranked Randallstown defended its tournament title last night, defeating No. 5 Southwestern, 65-60, in a game that ended late in the final quarter after Sabers coach Terry Leverett pulled his team off the court.

With 2: 49 remaining, Southwestern guard Terrell Dantzler was called for a foul near the Sabers' bench. Leverett disputed the call, then was given a technical. Seconds later, Leverett motioned to his team to leave the court.

"The first half, we were getting called for touch fouls, which I can accept, but then, kids were getting undercut," said Leverett, whose Sabers were Class 4A state champs last season. "It was nonsense just unrealistic calls to me.

"I'm not saying that they were biased for Randallstown, but maybe they weren't good officials and they were picking their calls. As opposed to going with the flow of the game, they were like, 'It's time to call one on this team, it's time to call one on this team.' That's not officiating."

Said Randallstown coach Kim Rivers, whose team improved to 2-0: "It's unfortunate that they didn't get to finish the game. I thought the referees did a decent job.

"It went both ways. My kids were in foul trouble, we had 10 fouls way before they were in the bonus situation. It's a shame that the kids didn't get the chance to decide the game and the coach did."

The game officials could not be reached for comment last night.

Last season at Southwestern, the Sabers defeated Randallstown, 64-43, in a game that was ended with 6: 12 left in the final quarter after a fight broke out involving fans on the court, and Rivers decided not to continue the game.

While last season's game was a blowout, last night's was competitive.

The Rams held their largest lead, at 58-48 with 6: 22 remaining, after a jumper by Tony Darden from the free-throw line. Southwestern cut the margin to five, 64-59, on a basket by Chris Green. After the teams exchanged free throws, Dantzler was called for the foul, followed by Leverett's technical.

Then the game was over.

"I was surprised," said Randallstown's Demon Brown. "I never thought they would do something like that, but he [Leverett] said the referees were making bad calls, and that was their decision."

Brown, a 6-foot-2 senior, led the Rams with 28 points. Darden added 14 and T.J. Stallings 11.

Green scored 18 points and Earl Carr contributed 13 for Southwestern (2-2), which had a 39-37 lead at the half.

Both teams struggled offensively for most of the third period, but the Rams got hot late, hitting their last five shots to run off 11 straight points and build a 52-43 lead.

Darden gave Randallstown the lead for good, 45-43, on a turnaround jumper with 1: 44 left in the third quarter. After a three-pointer by Stallings extended the lead to five, Brown's dish inside to Darden resulted in a layup.

Brown, who scored 67 points in the two Randallstown tournament victories, hit a tough fall-away jumper with four seconds remaining in the third, giving Randallstown a 52-43 lead.

In the consolation game, Charles Harris scored 39 points, leading No. 10 Douglass to a 97-82 victory over Arundel. Dominic Little added 19 for the Ducks (2-2). Ellis Champion led Arundel (1-2) with 29, and Rodney Farmer added 27.

Pub Date: 12/14/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.