Balanced Southern swamps Lakers 11 players help Bulldogs run out to 66-42 victory

Boys basketball

December 13, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Emil Curry scored less for No. 3-ranked Southern-Baltimore yesterday against No. 4 Lake Clifton, but he and his teammates enjoyed it a lot more.

The refocused Bulldogs, who had lost their first two games, defeated the Lakers, 66-42, for their first win of the season.

"There's no 'I' in team," a disappointed Curry had said after scoring a team-high 16 points in the Bulldogs' 22-point loss at No. 1 Dunbar on Tuesday. But he wore a broad grin after yesterday's game.

"You saw a much more balanced team today," Curry said. "We showed that we can go eight to 10 players deep, when they could only go six or seven. When that happens, you're supposed win the game."

Curry had 11 points this time, including 3-for-4 at the free throw line, as well as three assists, and he was only one of 11 contributors for Southern, a fact that pleased coach Meredith Smith.

Using their depth, the Bulldogs led 30-18 at halftime and built their biggest lead, 56-30, with 5: 50 remaining in the game, thanks also to making 20 of 27 free throws.

Southern's Isaiah Johnson (6-foot-6) had six points, nine

rebounds and a blocked shot, and teammate Nathaniel Fields (6-5) added eight points and seven boards. Melvin Scott had nine points, five rebounds, three assists and a steal, and Charlie Scott added eight points, four assists and three rebounds, going 3-for-4 at the line.

Lake Clifton opened with a 4-0 lead as 6-5 Rodney Bass (nine points, six rebounds, one block) scored a layup and a jumper.

But the Bulldogs responded with a 20-0 run -- including three-pointers by Leon Hanna and Melvin and Charles Scott -- for a 20-4 lead with 38 seconds left in the first period.

Trailing 13-4 with 3: 01 left in the first period, Lakers coach Herman Harried called timeout.

The Lakers' Kevin Smith, who had a game-high 16 points, got his team back to 20-8 at the first quarter's end with a couple free throws and a steal that gave him the first of his two dunks.

Curry's put-back with 5: 40 left in the half put Southern up 22-8. Lake Clifton then got to 22-13 on jumpers by Michael Harris and Smith -- the latter being his second three-pointer. Smith's conversion off a steal and assist from Andre Mouzone (seven points) had Lake Clifton within 23-15.

Southern coach Smith opened the third period with his bench depth, as Tyus Johnson scored five points (he had all of his 10 points in the second half), Malik Oliver a three-pointer, and Mitchell Beane two points in an 18-7 run. Southern entered the final period with a 48-27 lead.

"I think the Dunbar game convinced them that if they didn't execute, they won't win," Smith said of his players. "Sometimes, there's a positive in a negative. And the positive from that loss for our team was a serious adjustment in focus."

Pub Date: 12/13/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.