12-year-old boy accused of writing bomb-threat note Evacuation of school 'gave him idea,' police say

December 10, 1997|By Tanya Jones and TaNoah Morgan | Tanya Jones and TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

County police arrested a 12-year-old Brooklyn Park boy yesterday after a teacher caught him writing a bomb-threat note at Park Elementary School, police said.

The student was arrested shortly before 1 p.m., charged as a juvenile with making a false report of a bomb and taken to Thomas J. S. Waxter Children's Center in Laurel, where he was being held yesterday.

The boy tried to make the threat after students at nearby Brooklyn Park Elementary School were evacuated from their building earlier in the day because of a bomb threat and sent to Park, according to a police spokesman. The Brooklyn Park students were sent back to their school when no device was found.

"Apparently that gave him the idea" to write a note so Park students would be evacuated, said Lt. Jeffrey A. Kelly, a police spokesman.

"A teacher saw him doing this in the midst of it," he said.

The boy confessed to police during an interview, according to Kelly.

The boy's note would have been the first bomb threat at Park Elementary this year, he said.

There have been 70 bomb threats in county schools since classes started in September, including the Park incident, Kelly said.

Police have arrested 22 people for threats during that time.

Pub Date: 12/10/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.