Douglass' Ison returns to school after injury Fall in game put forward in hospital for weekend

December 09, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Joe Ison, the Douglass High basketball player injured and rendered unconscious during Friday night's game against Paterson Catholic (N.J.), was in school yesterday after having spent the weekend recovering at Greater Baltimore Medical Center hospital.

Ison, a junior forward, fell to the gymnasium floor after a mid-air collision with an opposing player, landing on the area between the back of his head and neck.

Ison, released from the hospital Sunday night, lay unconscious for about 10 minutes before being able to open his eyes and move his arms and legs, was taken from the scene by ambulance. He recalls playing in the game but does not recall the incident that led to his injury, said Douglass coach Rodney Coffield.

Ison was admitted to GBMC's intensive care unit, where he stayed as doctors administered CAT scans to determine if there were any serious head or neck injuries, Coffield said.

"He was in and out of consciousness until about 3 a.m.," Coffield said. "But the doctors said there was no permanent damage or neck injuries. He has six stitches over his right eyelid."

Referees suspended the game following Ison's injury when tempers began to flare.

"There were concerns about the tension getting a little volatile in the gymnasium," said Richard Bader, executive director of communications at Goucher College. "Goucher's security force was called to the gym. I don't know if it was by one of our people, or someone else, but they [security] arrived at the gym. In their assessment, they felt it would be helpful to call in some help from the county police."

"There were no fights," Bader said. "But from what I sensed from our athletic department people, tempers were up, and we were working to prevent it from escalating."

Bader said Towson Catholic officials, sponsors of the tournament, "made the decision to cancel the game, and also dTC made the subsequent decision to cancel the tournament's four games Saturday afternoon."

Police spokesman Kevin Novak said "We were called out there [to Goucher College] on several occasions on Friday night," and the response was to "dispatch about five patrol cars to the scene."

"One was for a head injury at about 10: 59 p.m. At 11: 06 p.m., we got a call for a disturbance," Novak said. "Both times, we responded at the request of college security."

Calls to Towson Catholic athletic director Colleen Cox were not returned yesterday and Towson Catholic principal Michael Lynch could not be reached for comment.

Pub Date: 12/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.