Baltimore All-Stars romp to 34-7 victory City/MIAA squad speeds past Arundel/Howard team

High Schools

December 08, 1997|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Not even the 18-point rule, designed to help reduce the possibility of a blowout, could save the Metro All-Stars from being routed in yesterday's second All-Star Football Game at Morgan State.

The Baltimore All-Stars, a team comprising the most promising seniors from city schools and the MIAA, were simply better -- and certainly quicker -- than the best the schools from Anne Arundel and Howard counties had to offer.

Baltimore took advantage of four Metro turnovers and broke the game open with two long and electrifying returns before settling for a 34-7 victory.

"We had a tremendous amount of team speed and we had the Offensive Player of the Year [Brant Hall of Loyola] and the Defensive Player of the Year [Kirk Williams of Dunbar], so that helped, too," said Baltimore All-Stars coach Brian Abbott (St. Paul's). "When I looked at the roster and saw that they only had 12 linemen and we had 20, I figured we would wear them down and that's what happened."

Dahnel Singfield of Dunbar put the City/MIAA stars ahead 27-0 late in the third quarter when he returned a punt 86 yards for a touchdown.

The Metro All-Stars finally found the end zone in the fourth quarter when Severn quarterback Dennard Melton connected with Annapolis' Donnell Foote from 11 yards out.

Melton's strike with 9: 17 left cut the lead to 20, activating the 18-point rule, which enables any team losing by more than 18 points in the fourth quarter to retain possession after scoring. Metro gladly accepted the ensuing kickoff, much to the chagrin of the confused Baltimore fans.

But Metro didn't take advantage. Baltimore's Tamah McCray intercepted a pass on the opening play of the drive and returned it to Metro's 7. Two plays later, Northern's Lenar Ward plunged in from the 4. John Carroll's Scott Collins, who handled all the kicking duties for Baltimore, chipped in the final point.

Collins attempted a 54-yard field goal late in the game and came up about a yard short of the crossbar.

Walbrook tailback Reggie Leak set up the opening touchdown of the game, a 1-yard run by quarterback Hall, by breaking away for a 63-yard gain.

Carver's Steve Queen crushed any hopes Metro had of staging a second-half comeback by returning the second-half kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown.

Pub Date: 12/08/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.