Police kill suspect after car chase Man, 43, tried to crash through officers' blockade

Gas station robbed

He, car matched descriptions in other robberies

December 07, 1997|By Larry Carson | Larry Carson,SUN STAFF

A man suspected of robbing a Severna Park gas station was shot to death minutes later by Anne Arundel County police officers after leading them on a car chase into a dead-end industrial park road in Glen Burnie.

The suspect, Kevin P. Ferguson, 43, of the 4200 block of Wentworth Road in West Baltimore, was pronounced dead at the shooting scene near East Ordnance Road and Baymeadow Drive after trying to drive through a police blockade, police said.

Police said Ferguson and the black Mercedes-Benz he was driving matched descriptions of the man and the car involved in several recent armed robberies at businesses in the county.

Sgt. Edward P. Bergin, a county police spokesman, said he would not release information on the other robberies because investigators had not determined which ones the man shot yesterday might have been involved in.

The holdup was reported at 5: 54 a.m. at the Shell station at Ritchie Highway and McKinsey Road, where a man took an undisclosed amount of money and drove away in a black Mercedes with Virginia tags.

The car, which had been reported stolen in Virginia, was spotted six minutes later on Ritchie Highway near Route 10 by a patrolling Anne Arundel officer. When the officer pulled behind the Mercedes, the suspect sped north on Route 10 to Ordnance Road.

When the suspect turned right onto Baymeadow, a dead-end road leading to an industrial park, police blocked the road.

The man made a quick U-turn and sped toward the officers, some of whom were outside their vehicles, and tried to run them down, Bergin said.

The suspect made it past some of the officers, despite shots they fired at his car.

At Baymeadow and Ordnance, the Mercedes hit the rear of a police cruiser with an officer inside.

The suspect's car stopped when it became stuck straddling a concrete median on Ordnance Road.

The suspect then got out of the car. "As he exited the vehicle, shots were fired," Bergin said.

Ferguson died on a grassy hill across Ordnance Road, near the Price Club Plaza shopping center.

Police found that Ferguson had a handgun, but it was unknown whether he fired any shots during the incident, Bergin said.

Officer Carol Frye, a police spokeswoman, said no officers were hurt.

Bergin said he did not know how many officers were present at the shooting. Those involved were being interviewed by investigators, he said.

Pub Date: 12/07/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.